I Bought a 6'x8' Shed and Need Suggestions....

ChickWHorses

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
I bought a 6'x8' Shed off Kijiji and it will arrive Sunday. I live in Calgary, Alberta so we get some brisk weather in the winter (OK it can get down right nasty) and hot days in the summer. I think I have a decent spot for it with the back facing North. It has a single door and opening window in the front. It is wired for electricity and has an over head light fixture. The plugs I will move up as they are at ground level which obviously isn't safe for the chickens or the ducks. Yes both will share the coop. I have a rooster and 4 hens and a Welsh Harlequin drake and 4 hens. Will I be OK adding a few more hens in the spring? What should be my max? The inside is an open book. I plan to insulate it. Any suggestions for setting it up. For example: should I put in nesting boxes that just get collected from inside or make access from outside. My other coop is exterior and the eggs froze last winter but wonder if that was just because the boxes weren't built correctly? I know I will need to put ventilation up top but how much and should I install more windows? Etc. etc. This is there new Chateau...
$_59.JPG

Very nice coop house! I have lots and lots of chickens over 100 and plan to get more in the spring and 20 ducks. they all house together and that works just fine, We get nasty cold here too but not as cold as you... I have my nesting boxes inside so my eggs wont freeze and collect them several times a day. yes, move your out lets up as you plan to do and I would just go with the one window due to the cold. In the heat of the summer I put a screen made of 1" chicken wire or hardware cloth for ventilation and I do the same with the door. I lock the screens at night or if I am gone for a long time in the day due to critters. You want to use screws with washers not staples or nail cause raccoons can pull nails and staples like no other.... I use a red heat lamp only one per coop during the winter, I nail and screw the light so it does not fall catch fire. If you have a direct light source you might want to think about a shield that goes on a clamp light to keep it from getting the shed to hot. Yes, Do put a vent if you can before the winter hits for air flow.
You are on the right track to a great coop.
Oh... One more thing to add don't forget to spend time with your flock and hug a chicken!

Back
Top Bottom