I Built A Bridge!

I have a baby!!!!! It is dark grey and darling
wee.gif
My daughter and I got home from work and first stop was the coops. I could hear cheeping and I just sort of lifted Julie's chest saw the empty shell
jumpy.gif
So "Operation Move a Mama" happened a little late. 4 of 5 remaining eggs were pipped and they were all chirping as we carried out the move. Julie settled in on that chick and let us put the remaining eggs back under her and snuggled right back down on them so all is well. Meanwhile back in the original coop Gracie Belle was VERY concerned about the whole thing but settled back on her eggs pretty quickly too and we are hoping that out of sight out of mind will be the pattern she follows.

Julie Taylor in the Handicoop, so named because we built it for my disabled rooster, Curley, who passed before I met you all.She is sitting on on 1 chick and 5 eggs that will hopefully be chicks by tomorrow morning...Christmas themed names. Liz if you want to step into the wonderful world of Silkies I can hook you up.
Congrats, TG!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see pics!
Thanks, but I'm going to pass on silkies! Yes, they are beyond beautiful! But, 3 broody hens (and possibly 2 more, if Cindy and Maryanne take after their moms) are puh-lenty! Plus, I like watching my chickens fly. Rousseau can be my one designer hen. :)

@lizgarf I would love to send him down to help you. he was actually in Concord last week but we have plans for the next three weekends so I am afraid you are on your own...something tells me you will manage beautifully.

Congratulations TG!!! Glad operation "Move a Mama" went well, and can't wait to meet new arrivals! (I'm sure there are more by now.)

I saw 5 chicks this morning! Chiocciola is still sitting tight, so I'm assuming more hatching is in progress and leaving them alone for now. Besides, it was still semi-dark, so I doubt pics would have turned out well - but I'll be stalking them again later, so pics to come.

In a totally unrelated news - did you guys notice that Cenere is famous? She made BYC chicken picture of the week, on the home page.
smile.png
Wait until I tell her, she'll be soooo proud!... not that she needs a bigger ego, but anyway...
lol.png

Ok, that is waaay too many posts in a row from me, but can't be helped, as this one must be shared... I give you FUZZY BUTTS!
love.gif
jumpy.gif

The mostly yellow one with leg fuzz in front here, and the all black one are our mixes... (both from Chiocciola's sisters, so all-white moms, one from black Cochin dad, the other most likely from the Silkie dad, though not 100% sure) The rest are Auracanas, I saw 5 of those so far and a couple of unhatched eggs... not holding out much hope for those at this point, but assuming Chiocciola knows best... we'll see.

A group shot!!!! Chiocciola decided to collaborate and let me get a pic underneath while she adjusted position.

The perfect fuzzy-butt view.
big_smile.png

Ok, that is waaay too many posts in a row from me, but can't be helped, as this one must be shared... I give you FUZZY BUTTS!
love.gif
jumpy.gif

The mostly yellow one with leg fuzz in front here, and the all black one are our mixes... (both from Chiocciola's sisters, so all-white moms, one from black Cochin dad, the other most likely from the Silkie dad, though not 100% sure) The rest are Auracanas, I saw 5 of those so far and a couple of unhatched eggs... not holding out much hope for those at this point, but assuming Chiocciola knows best... we'll see.

A group shot!!!! Chiocciola decided to collaborate and let me get a pic underneath while she adjusted position.

The perfect fuzzy-butt view.
big_smile.png

Congratulations!!!!! So cute and so glad you got the Aracauna babies to hatch. I rarely look at the opening page of BYC but I am off now to see Cenere in all of her fabulousness!

Yay for babies!!! They're beautiful, IC!!
And congrats on the Pic of the Week! Lovely photo of Cenere! How did that come about? Is there a way to offer pictures up for selection?

The BYC ad responder is very enthusiastic about taking either Frankie or Diego, and it sounds like another great opportunity for a boy! But, she's even farther away than the cattle ranch, so it's going to take some time to figure out when a delivery might work, as well as cooperation from the weather. At least this gives me some time to decide which one to keep! I'm actually completely on the fence right now! They're both beautiful! Frankie brings more color to the flock, but has a louder crow and more-confusing heritage (which could be harder for rehoming a future hatch). Diego blends in a bit more, has a cuter crow, but delivers it more often! Decisions!

What I have learned from all of this is that it is possible to rehome 6 cockerels in an anti-rooster world. But it takes patience, effort, and understanding neighbors, which not every urban farm has at their disposal!

Yay for babies!!! They're beautiful, IC!!
And congrats on the Pic of the Week! Lovely photo of Cenere! How did that come about? Is there a way to offer pictures up for selection?

The BYC ad responder is very enthusiastic about taking either Frankie or Diego, and it sounds like another great opportunity for a boy! But, she's even farther away than the cattle ranch, so it's going to take some time to figure out when a delivery might work, as well as cooperation from the weather. At least this gives me some time to decide which one to keep! I'm actually completely on the fence right now! They're both beautiful! Frankie brings more color to the flock, but has a louder crow and more-confusing heritage (which could be harder for rehoming a future hatch). Diego blends in a bit more, has a cuter crow, but delivers it more often! Decisions!

What I have learned from all of this is that it is possible to rehome 6 cockerels in an anti-rooster world. But it takes patience, effort, and understanding neighbors, which not every urban farm has at their disposal!

Thanks Liz! I can't get over how cute they are.
love.gif

Cenere is famous because I created a page for her (and Ombretta, as co-broodies) - had all those great pics I wanted in one place. Apparently, that is where the moderators select the chicken picture of the week, so if you want to enter some of yours, just create your page over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/5/My_Chickens

I'm glad to hear that you found another taker for one of your boys! Decisions are tough! Best of luck whatever you decide and I hope the weather cooperates.

I agree 100%... it is possible to rehome the boys, but certainly not simple...

Liz the news about your boys is fabulous! I think you have it absolutely right and I am thrilled that you are going to get your wish for one of your boys and maybe get another road tip in for Reggie!

Here is the little roo I am bringing home for my bantams next month. Can you stand it???
big_smile.png
Does he not look like he is wearing a beret?? He lives in Fairfield and I am grabbing him and another silkie girl he currently lives with. Looking forward to this addition for sure. Not 100% sure how I am going to actually add another boy but how could I say "No" to that??

Last edited:
I have 5 healthy whole fuzzy babies. I lost one. I don't know what happened but the one I lost still had its umbilical cord and the egg shell it came from was still yolky and was crushed so I think maybe the egg got smooshed and it came out before it was ready.
hit.gif
Julie is doing great with the rest of them and they are all confined alone in the coop I built last summer. I will take pics when the chicks start to venture out but right now they would be really hard to see. 4 are black one is blue and the black ones won't show up against their black mama. I see a lot of toes and a lot of leg feathers
love.gif
also some beards and muffs. They all look silkie like which should make it easier to find homes for the extras. @Teila when and how do you tell silkie sex??

Candled Norma's eggs and she is down from 13 to 7. One of those is iffy but the other six look great.

Will Candle Gracie's on Thursday. They were packed so poorly...hoping for at least one little for her troubles.

Back
Top Bottom