I Built A Bridge!

<3 I'm here but can't reply now. Love the babies! Catch up soon!
Hi MM,

Hope everything is well with you and your family.
frow.gif

Hi all. Like MM I have been lurking in the woodwork. Wanted to oooooo and ahhhhh over the babies...fingers crossed that that little frizzle is a girl. Also wanted to express that I am happy that things are better with Bettina Liz. 16 paws I am right there with you sister! I am giving chicks to Gracie and Julie next week and just gave 11 eggs to Ms Norma who needs to have a t shirt made that says "Born to Brood" She is such an unsociable little thing it makes me think she is such a perma broody because it gives her an excuse to be isolated.

Anyway I will plague you with pics soon. Stella has a little cockerel and a little pullet still and I think the little girl is maybe a bantam dark brahma. She sure is a cutie! The little boy is mottled so I am pretty sure finding him a home will be relatively easy.

Feathery hugs to all!

Hi all. Like MM I have been lurking in the woodwork. Wanted to oooooo and ahhhhh over the babies...fingers crossed that that little frizzle is a girl. Also wanted to express that I am happy that things are better with Bettina Liz. 16 paws I am right there with you sister! I am giving chicks to Gracie and Julie next week and just gave 11 eggs to Ms Norma who needs to have a t shirt made that says "Born to Brood" She is such an unsociable little thing it makes me think she is such a perma broody because it gives her an excuse to be isolated.

Anyway I will plague you with pics soon. Stella has a little cockerel and a little pullet still and I think the little girl is maybe a bantam dark brahma. She sure is a cutie! The little boy is mottled so I am pretty sure finding him a home will be relatively easy.

Feathery hugs to all!
Cant wait to see the pictures. That is going to be a lot of little fuzzies to keep track of! Oh my!
wee.gif

Hi everyone!
Just a quick note because I'm heading out the door, but thought I'd catch up on Chickenlandia first, and who-boy, was I behind! Sorry! Just want to tell Teila how gorgeous those bubbies are! I love the the one that's mostly white with yellow and grey/blue highlights - so pretty! And, that really pretty pic of the one peeking out under mom! I say, don't fret about whom you're going to keep until they tell you what they are!

I knew Hope was a boy way back when you sent that pic, 16P, but I didn't know he'd turn out so beautiful!! I'm glad you get to keep him. I'm not sure if you caught that I had 6 out of 9 boys in my hatch, but managed to rehome all of them (well, 5 and Desi, who is now living it up on a cattle ranch, at least as far as I know), and I kept Rousseau's son, Diego, who is much quieter and easier than Desi, but not quite as beautiful.

Bettina is still the same - occasionally makes it up to the backyard, lays an egg 2 days in a row, and doesn't do much other than that and telling me what's what. She's almost 3 now, but so are half the flock.

Still getting tons of eggs (sorry Teila), and no broodies yet!! Maybe they recognize we've reached critical hen. And, the big news, Frida finally returned to laying, almost 7 months after her hatch! Bets on how long before she goes broody? Or maybe she's finally done?

Hey Bridge Club
frow.gif

Good to see you MM even if only briefly
wink.png

Now all we need is for IC to check in so we know she is doing OK also.

Hugs right back at ya TG and good to see you. Looking forward to the pictures
pop.gif

Thank you Liz yeah, I am loving the colouring on the grey/white/blue and now throw in some tan as well! I have no idea how they are going to turn out and hope I get to keep one of them.

At this stage, I am still swinging towards girls with the brown/black-highlights bub and the Frizzle .. sitting on the fence with the two grey/white/blue/tan bubs and swinging towards boy on the black but as you say, no point in fretting, time will tell
wink.png

Three is still young, I wonder what is going on with Bettina, must be frustrating for you not knowing.

Congratulations on Frida and getting tons of eggs, I am pleased for you but still going to poke out my tongue! Lol
tongue.png

No eggs at all for 8 days now.

Joel is picking up the materials for the run extension tomorrow and we plan to start on Good Friday; weather permitting.

We have had so much rain of late and more today. Cilla and the Nuggets sat on their balcony watching the torrent flow through their run. It is not that they are in the wrong spot, just that we have had so much rain it has nowhere to go; being lower than next door does not help!

Anyways, I hope everyone is well and if I don’t catch up with you beforehand, that you all have a wonderful Easter
hugs.gif

Here is the Stella baby I am keeping. I don't know if she is a Cochin or a Brahma only that she is pretty darn cute and she needs a name..I have narrowed it down to Tyra or Lyla...any thoughts?

I Love this one... she is regal

Amd this sort of shows her size...somewhere between a baseball and a softball...and her pants.
smile.png

OMG! She is beautiful and so tiny
love.gif
I love her! Put me down for one vote for Tyra :)

How old is she? This is Cilla at 3 months old and Blondie at 4 months old for comparison (bantam Cochins):

Yes, she is super cute, TG! Her shape looks Brahma to me, but definitely not her size!! Bettina is absolutely huge compared to everyone in my flock - even Lucy. What is her feather pattern called? It's really cool.

Teila, I see your tongue for my eggs, and I send it back for your rain! California's snowpack measurement yesterday was at 6% of normal! The lowest measurement on record before that was 25%, last year! We're in big trouble over here, though it sure is lovely at the moment. I've been updating my drip system this week, a couple months earlier than normal, and I just hope they don't pull the plug on me. I make it as efficient as possible with little tiny drippers, no lawns or sprinklers, emphasizing edibles, but it still needs water.

Bettina keeps improving gradually. She's made it up to the back on her own a few days in a row. The more she walks around, the more she might shed some of the excess weight she's put on - I'm sure that's part of the problem, as she is just so big, it's got to be extra-hard to move around.

16P, how about calling Hope "Bob"? Get it? :)

OMG! She is beautiful and so tiny
love.gif
I love her! Put me down for one vote for Tyra :)

How old is she? This is Cilla at 3 months old and Blondie at 4 months old for comparison (bantam Cochins):

Thanks! She hatched around 2/3...she is from the feed store and I picked her up on 2/7 so she had a couple days in transit before she got there and a day or so at the feedstore before I brought her home. So I guess that makes her just 2 months old so she has some growing left to do.

I will take your vote into account...so far Tyra is winning with 1 vote
wink.png

I do love your chick pics...that Blondie was a Diva from the get go.
smile.png

Yes, she is super cute, TG! Her shape looks Brahma to me, but definitely not her size!! Bettina is absolutely huge compared to everyone in my flock - even Lucy. What is her feather pattern called? It's really cool.

Teila, I see your tongue for my eggs, and I send it back for your rain! California's snowpack measurement yesterday was at 6% of normal! The lowest measurement on record before that was 25%, last year! We're in big trouble over here, though it sure is lovely at the moment. I've been updating my drip system this week, a couple months earlier than normal, and I just hope they don't pull the plug on me. I make it as efficient as possible with little tiny drippers, no lawns or sprinklers, emphasizing edibles, but it still needs water.

Bettina keeps improving gradually. She's made it up to the back on her own a few days in a row. The more she walks around, the more she might shed some of the excess weight she's put on - I'm sure that's part of the problem, as she is just so big, it's got to be extra-hard to move around.

16P, how about calling Hope "Bob"? Get it? :)
Ohhh @16 paws I vote for Bob also. hahaha

No gardening for us this year. The lack of snowpack is scary. I will continue to water under the shrubs for the chickens on hot days but not much more watering will happen round here. It looks so lovely and green right now too I hate to see the brown and dusty days return.

Re my baby bantam I have no idea. I have googled every black and silver pattern I know of..penciled, laced, and birchen and I haven't figured it out. Brahmas only come in dark, Light and Buff right? Anyway I am posting her pics on the Bantam Cochin and the Bantam Brahma BYC threads in hopes of getting some help in IDing her.

Sounds like your on to something...Bettina gaining weight while she was so inactive may be the reason she is still inactive.

Happy Easter to all!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom