I can't believe this is happening. Stray cats have successfully brought fleas to my chickens,

undine

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Last week i noticed these weird bites on my legs, and wondered what had bit me. Today after coming in from giving my chickens treats, I went to poo :( a little tmi but thats what happened. then something small jumped off of my pants and landed on the floor, i tried to kill it with my finger but it was solid hard..then it started to jump. Still cant believe this is happening. Im a new chicken owner so this is really stressing me out because i have no idea what to do. I even thought that something like this wouldnt happen to me nor my chickens. karma is a b****.

I can understand your concern! Luckily for you, this is somewhat of an easy fix. I'd pick up some Sevin insecticide powder and spinkle it everywhere. Sprinkle it all over the stray cats (yes it's safe for them), where your chickens dust bathe, in their coop, in the nestboxes, and all over them. Some people fill a sock with the powder and just hit their chickens with it to get it all over them. Then again dust in 7 days to kill all the eggs and stuff. Continue dusting every few days until they're all gone.

Frontline. Fleas just are. You don't need a pet to have fleas in your yard. If your neighbors have pets that aren't treated it can cause a population explosion that spreads. If you keep your chickens in a coop, treat your yard. There are plenty of products out there for lawns. I've never heard of fleas inhabiting chickens and even though I have pets and chickens, I have never picked up a flea in the chicken yard or seen one on a chicken. I don't treat my yard because the chickens free range and it's too much wood and acreage, but I do treat my pets. Idk, if you think they do have fleas then maybe you can try a dust powder on them. Btw, rats, mice, squirrel and rabbit all carry fleas too and the ones that inhabit them can carry bad disease that can be transfered to people.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom