I cant get rid of cocci!

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
It is very depressing... I noticed one maran hen awhile ago with bloody poop so i treated everyone like how i read your saposs to. Now like a week after treatment i notice in a diffent chicken pen a glob of bloody poop. Everyone acts normal.so i started it again today... It is so depressing as i sell chicks and fertile eggs:'( i dont know what to do

Sometimes for whatever reason certain birds have trouble building imunity to it and it can take several treatments before they finally get over it, frustrating I know, sometimes treating with a severe outbreak dose for seven days then follow that with the maitanance dose for two more weeks works best at least it did for my birds

Can you post some photos of the poop?
What treatment dose did you use?

I dont have photos yet as i was rushing this morning for work. It was splat poop with red blood. Here are pics i found online what it looks like that im seeing. I woke up this morning, went out to feed and water and i found 3 splats like this. I was devastated. I think i might try Sulmet. I have a large bottle of it and worked great on my goat kids.

How do you clean your coop to get rid of Cossi???
It is impossible to disinfect a coop. Coccidia are in the soil and in the droppings of most chickens to some extent. As they grow, they will usually build up a tolerance to cocci in the soil anywhere from 11-20 weeks of age, unless there is a problem with immunity or a new strain is introduced from other soil. Usually, stirring the bedding often to keep it dry, changing it when it gets really dirty, and then adding new bedding can help. A vet can do a fecal test on several fresh droppings collected, to look for coccidia or worms. Corid (amprollium) used in the water for 7 days is a common treatment for an outbreak. Other medicines used are sulfa antibiotics and toltrazuril, especially in other countries. Symptoms to look for are sleepiness, standing hunched or puffed up, poor appetite, ruffled feathers, or diarrhea with mucus or sometimes blood.

Back
Top Bottom