I can't handle the stench!

Unless you're leaving the doors open for extended periods of time, they should be fine. Think of a momma brooding chicks. At this age, even in the cold, they're out from under her for a good hour at a time. And with a broody, you're either toasty warm under her, or at whatever ambient temperature is, like it or not. No middle ground, no radiant heat circle, etc. Granted, hens don't usually brood chicks this time of year, but it has been done with good results. A large brooder, maybe heat lamps at each end with a cool space in the middle. Or multiple brooders, with that many chicks. I'm not sure you could do heating pads with that many chicks, that would be a lot of pads.

I think I'll use our metal horse trough. That should be big enough! (At least for a while.) I'll have to make space in the garage...

Maybe for another week or so. They really do grow quickly, and with that growth rate comes ever increasing space needs.

The trough is about 8'x3'. Holds 300 gallons. Please tell me it'll be big enough! It's too big for me to lift when it's empty.

The trough is about 8'x3'. Holds 300 gallons. Please tell me it'll be big enough! It's too big for me to lift when it's empty.
Too small for chicks over 2 weeks old. That gives them a little more than half a sq foot per chick. By 3 weeks, they need about a sq ft per chick. Chicks double in size each week, and their space needs double with them. Overcrowd them and they can start feather picking. Once that starts, it can be a life-long problem.

This is exactly what I use to brood. I have 4 of them
tongue.png

31 chicks, at a week old, you'll be fine for another week or so. Then, you're going to need more space.

What was your plan for brooding them?

I had no idea I'd get such a huge # of chicks from setting 41 eggs. Using a Little Giant incubator. So, I'm a bit overwhelmed with this many. Trying to sell some on Craigslist. I really only want 20 of them. I have a grow out pen outdoors they will fit in once they get feathers.

My favorite bedding is the pine horse bedding pellets from TSC. Super absorbent and cheap. With 16 chicks, I only had to change it once a week for the first two weeks. Then I changed it every 3-4 days. I Put some hay down in the area where they slept and changed that twice per day. Never had an issue with smell. Of course 31 chicks is significantly more than 16...LOL. But I agree that yours could go out in the garage with an extra lamp.

Back
Top Bottom