I can't think of the word....

animalsRawesome

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Don't you just hate it when that happens?!?!?!? LOL I'm trying to think of the word that is what they call this scenario: You don't have any goats (could be any animal) but you want some. Someone gives you a baby goat for free, but you have to promise to return the favor by giving someone else a goat once the goat you received for free grows up and has babies. Please help me think of this word; it is driving me nuts
he.gif

Well, I Heifer Project International (a Christian non-profit that operates in a similar way) calls it "passing on the gift." I kinda think of it as "Pay it Forward."

Yeah, "paying it forward" describes it, but isn't there a word FOR it? LOL, does that make sense?

ETA: Maybe I'm wrong and there isn't a word for it. If that's the case, lets make one up
lol.png

Last edited:
smile.png
Thanks for looking. Doesn't it just drive you absolutely crazy thinking about it? LOL
Oh yeah. I'll sit straight up on the couch and suddenly blurt out a random word I had been trying to think of for the last few days/weeks/months. My poor husband thinks I'm nuts, sometimes. Sorry I can't help you with yours...karma, maybe?

I was JUST doing this today. In fact, I got so mad about it I called up my sister to ask her husband what the word is. I was washing my car, and flipped open the little door that covers the gas lid. (there's a TON of dirt that gets in there!) When telling someone about it, I couldn't come up with the word for that area, it turns out there isn't one! You really think there would be!

As for the original poster, "reciprocate" might be the word you're thinking of...Looking around, the technical term seems to be "generalized reciprocity", but "Pay it forward" is the common term.

"Pick of the litter" means the strongest/smartest/best looking out of a litter of pups/kits. The opposite is "runt of the litter".

Quote:

I just know that when we bred AKC Dobermans, the stud's owner got the "pick of the litter" in lieu of monetary payment for stud fees-that is what I meant by that, which sort of goes along with what the OP was saying, but the word "litter" is the wrong word for goats, I'd guess, not knowing much about goats.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom