Question on fodder sprout feeds...?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I wanted to ask if anyone here has done fodder sprout feeds for sheep or goats? And what's the best ratios to use for them?

To give you a bit of background...

I did fodder sprout research for 2 years... for DUCKS and chickens. I did that with the idea trying to find out how to make food cheaply if someone didn't have land but wanted to raise animals for food and also to save money. For poultry it WORKS. But you have to have other things. Like if I did 100% only fodder for ducks they would not lay eggs. So I had to do like 15 or 20% of other stuff with it before they would start laying. I could also pay attention to the egg yolk color to tell if more nutrition was needed.

But I want to eventually know how to do this with larger animals like sheep. I don't have the means or land to do sheep now. But I think things could change easily now. I also see that there's no point in being too reliant on the stores. Even if the stores in this broken economy remain open they are putting some seriously weird chemical stuff in our food and acting like its no big deal. There's a new Gill Bates scheme also of paining some chemical crap in grocery store fruit and vegetable coatings like avocados, apples, too where they want to make it have more 'apeel' (appeal). I don't trust that one bit. if it needed that God would have put it in there already.

But that's a tangent... sorry. What I meant to say is... well if there's an ideal mix of stuff for poultry, then surely there's a similar mix that's ideal for sheep and goats? I just wanted to reach out on that to ask others what they think? And is 3 ingredients better than 2?

In theory, someone can do for poultry; the fodder sprouts and then a mix of black oil sunflower seeds, and barley seeds, etc... but I don't know if sheep can eat sunflower seeds even? And maybe 3 items in there is better than 2?

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Yes, sheep can eat BOSS. At least I think so because I know goats can. I have been growing greens for my goats, because we live in the woods and not much undergrowth of bushes or small trees they love. All winter I work at planting small areas for them to graze when the greens mature. I do it all by hand, and enjoy the time outside. I cover seed with old bedding, so birds don't eat it all. It also helps improve the soil. We have 13 acres, and I hope to keep seeding areas until I have more than they could eat. We also have wild deer , I am sure they would enjoy some fodder.

Back
Top Bottom