Help me decide on my next livestock animal

We have 2 goats. They’re awesome. Sneaking out is a legit concern (our Nigerian dwarf has given us a run for our money but going under chain link fence?. We reinforced with got fencing.
we also have NDGs two of them their names are Annie(brown) and Lucy(white)and they are super friendly
IMG_1562 (1).jpg
IMG_1563.jpg

I've recently gotten into chickens and ducks, and I have really been loving taking care of farm animals and itching to add a new species of animal to my backyard. I'm on 2.5 acres in a subdivision in a fairly agricultural town though I don't think any of my neighbors have animals so I have been trying to keep a low profile. (I did check my township zoning laws that we don't have any prohibitions against owning livestock). I have about 5000 sq feet fenced and the rest is wooded/hilly and not very usable.

I am mostly doing this as a hobby/for fun so I am wanting an animal that is friendly and docile. Would be nice if they could produce something useful but not required. I don't think I could bring myself to harvest anything for meat. Lawn mowing capabilities are a bonus! I would like them to be on the quieter side - I do have the highway nearby drowning out the noise from my chickens and ducks but would like to minimize any chance of tension with the neighbors.

I have considered the following:
- rabbits for fun / poop to use in my garden, but seems kind of boring and I don't like keeping animals in cages
- goats - I love their personalities! but worry about general naughtiness / escaping / loudness. maybe mini silky fainting goats? not sure how loud they can get
- sheep - I've been looking into babydoll sheep which are sooo cute but when I met them in person did not seem that friendly. I also feel bad that I don't have enough grass for them to graze and would need to supplement hay
- geese - heard mixed reviews, worried about aggression/noise but sebastopols seem really sweet

Any animals y'all would recommend?? Or should I just get more chickens and ducks :)
if you could show us pics of your fencing we might be able to recommend some animals I love my goats they are quiet when I'm not outside but when I'm outside they tend to be very vocally adamant that I feed them mine are also polled so no horns we have bred them for June babies if you breed goats you can make money but their fun to just have as pets

Back
Top Bottom