I can't wait any longer for my chicks

Nslangton

Songster
10 Years
Jan 19, 2012
I ordered chicks from a local hatchery. Today is hatch day. I can pick them up this afternoon or anytime tomorrow. Do they have a better chance of survival if they stay at the hatchery the first night? I have had my brooder up and running for a two weeks already. What would you guys do? I might go crazy if I have to wait until tomorrow

As long as they look happy and healthy, I would go ahead and pick them up today if that's what you want to do.
wink.png

As long as they are fluffy before you try to transport them then I don't think it matters. I can totally understand how you feel. I wouldn't want to wait either!!
Congrats on you babies. :) How many of what kind are you getting?
jumpy.gif

Thanks, I'm getting 3 White Leghorns and 3 brown egg layers (White rock hen crossed with RIR Rooster) I ordered these cause we only want eggs and we absolutely will not be eating the hens after they stop laying. We have a hatchery a few minutes away and they only sell 4 types. 2 egg layers and 2 meat birds. I can pick them up so they won't have to be shipped. I keep reading about orders of chicks arriving dead in this cold weather and that freaked me out a little bit. That is why I ordered from this hatchery I would be devastated if I opened a box of dead chicks.

I love my withe Leghorn. She lays huge eggs! :)
What will you do with the hens once they stop laying?

I know lots of people won't eat them, I'm just curious what you do with them then?

Don't know, hopefully a have a few years before I have to worry about that. Any suggestions?

Well... You can give them to someone else... But they would eat them. Or you could just feed and keep them until they die.
I heard of someone selling them to a pet store to add some... decoration, to the snake habitat... Somehow I don't see you doing that though. =P

Personally I see no more fitting end to a hens long life than a dinner table, but I know not all people feel that way. I haven't really though of what else to do with them after they stop laying. That's why I asked. I have a friend that just gives her roosters away (I'm not sure if she does with her hens). She just doesn't ask what they are going to do with them.

I have one hen that will stay with me for as long as she lives. She is as close to push button broody as I have ever heard of. Keep her around eggs and promptly sits on them (usually within 36 - 48 hours) after she sits for a few days I give her baby chicks that she raises as her own. Way cool!

Really it depends on the hen and how much space I have.

Back
Top Bottom