I can't wait to crack this egg.....

lutherpug

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Kansas City Area
My Australorp, Beatrix, has had a heck of an adventure....

She's just under 11 months old. At 6 months old she developed quite the crop impaction from eating sand. Fortunately, I was able to find an avian veterinarian who cleared her crop surgically and she pulled through. We pulled all of the sand out of the coop and run in favor of straw and added feeders so there wouldn't be competition for food. She was always at the bottom of the pecking order.

She stopped laying for 4 months which I thought was pretty dramatic for a not quite yet 11 month old hen. We knew we'd keep her as a pet nonetheless but I had low expectations about her laying again due to her becoming so emaciated when her crop was impacted.

Well......sure enough she started laying again at the beginning of February. Big eggs. Almost every day. Then today we got this.....

We've had a double yolker before but this sucker is HUUUGE!!! That isn't fancy photography, I promise. In any event, I'll update after I crack it open tomorrow morning. I can't wait :)

You should weight it before you crack it. I had a large one like that. My biggest was 97 grams, yours has got to be at least that big.

I was off work today and keeping a close eye on things as I had reintroduced a young pullet. I had gone down while B was in the nesting box and didn't think much of it. Went back 45 minutes later and she was in the run being super noisy and pacing around, no egg in the box. Went back down 30 minutes after that and everyone is acting normal with this sucker sitting there in the box. She seems fine but my heart broke for her when I picked it up, it is so enormous!!

97 grams, anxious to count yolks
wee.gif

I love it! I think one of my chickens laid one that big last summer, but unfortunately all I saw was the remains of it, it probably broke right away. I just remember seeing about half the shell, and it was huge like that.

Back
Top Bottom