I Caponized! ***Graphic Pics*** Not For Faint of Heart.

Quote:
I've heard conflicting stories about this and since this is my first ever time doing it I can't tell you either way. I seem to think that it may reduce the crowing but not eliminate it. the only way to do that is to have it professionally done I think.

I guess I'm weird, but doesn't that hurt them if they don't have anything to numb the pain? I just can't imagine doing surgery without SOME type of anesthesia. I guess I'm too much of a softie
th.gif

Jen

Well bugger. I wish I'd run across this thread yesterday. I had a little cockerel who's name was nonsense. I had to cull him after he pecked a pullet bloody. This would have been a...well I hesitate to say *fun*...but it would have been an interesting experiment. I'll have to keep it in mind next time I get an accidental roo.

Quote:
Im going to be completely honest with you because I have read literature that said that the surgery doesn't hurt the bird. They didn't seem like they were in excruciating pain but you could tell it hurt. People that say it doesn't hurt them are full of it but when faced with the other option, which would have been throw em in the trash (3 small kids don't go well with 10 roosters) this seems to be the most respectful way to use these living creatures. I do, however, see how others don't get it.

Great post!! Thanks for posting the pics! Very informative! DH and I have casually talked about trying to caponize, but nothing serious (yet). My grandpa use to raise capons (for market from what I understand) and my mom has his old capozing kit that she has offered to give me. Haven't taken her up on the offer, but now maybe i will!

Questions: How old/heavy were these birds?
I gess you were already certain they were males?
If not, you just can see it's a hen after cutting?
Can you capon a grown roo, and if you do what changes with the roo? Would he at least be less aggressive?
Where might one get spreaders?

I have read in some other articles that you can get both testicles out from one cut. Do you think that is possible? It would probably be alot easier on the birds if there was only one incision. Just wondering what you thought.

Back
Top Bottom