I Caponized! ***Graphic Pics*** Not For Faint of Heart.

thumbsup.gif
Yay for you! I too taught myself how to caponize since I get a lot of extra cockerels in the batches of chicks my broody hens hatch out here. But I have not tried on chicks that young. I think it will give you better results, the ones I did were almost 10 weeks old and it really didn't seem to make much of a difference in their growth, behavior, or developing secondary sex characteristics.

The thing that holds me back the most is lack of good effective tools to use, lack of good sufficient lighting, and my old far-sighted eyes that make it so difficult to see what the heck I'm looking for in there. I've been using an old caponizing kit but don't like the tools, you need 2 hands to set & clamp them and that's inefficient. And I really need some good magnifying glasses or something to help me see, and a nice bright light I can aim right in the incision. Or a nice young helper to work alongside!

These 10-week-olds had testicles the size of dry navy beans, I couldn't imagine trying to find ones the size of rice grains.

But it's really not that difficult once you learn what to do. I operated on mine at the kitchen table, up on a plastic milk crate. I zip-tied their wings & their legs together, then used bungee cords to hold them to the crate and stretch them out. I'd even put a child's sock over their heads to keep them calm and in the dark. I had to make incisions that were about an inch long, and would use a dab of super glue or a stitch or two to put them back together. I did that with the cut in the skin, not in the abdomen.

Did you get any with wind puffs? Ones whose sides puff up with air for a few days after surgery? Mine did, and I'd have to take a needle or razor point to deflate them.

WOW!
thumbsup.gif
I want to try! But I would be worried about my roos. I really would only want to try for science sake. Surgery interests me. I just don't see myself buying a roo for my science experiement. But thank you for such a detailed account. I now know what it takes to do this!

At 10 weeks they're still adolescents, almost beginning to show the secondary sex characteristics of larger combs/wattles, pointy hackle & saddle feathers just beginning to emerge, not yet crowing or wanting to mate. But it seems the upper limit for caponizing to be worthwhile other than for practice, it really doesn't make much of a difference in their weight or behavior.

Tenderness has never been an issue with the chickens I've butchered, even the older roosters with intact testicles the size of my big toe. When left to rest for a few days in the refrigerator then cooked slowly with some moisture (simmered in broth, roasted covered with vegs) they've always been delectable. I just hoped to increase their bulk by caponizing. The birds I butcher are usually standard or mixed-breed cockerels that average 4 lbs dressed, I'd like to see them grow bigger.

Folks who know that I can caponize have asked if I would operate on their cockerels in order to prevent them from crowing. I wouldn't put myself or the bird through the trouble just for that purpose, and also because I could not guarantee it would work. Some of these 10-week-olds would still crow. I never kept precise records or observed very closely to see just how many, or who, was crowing, just know there was still some rooster-ish behavior coming from them as they grew older.

Also, if you leave even a bit of testicle tissue behind, it will continue to grow and affect the bird's behavior -- they're called "slips".

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this has to be done by 4 weeks old for it to work. For the most part you should be able to tell the sexes apart by 2 to 3 weeks. I've had some of my Marans roo start to practice crowing at young as 2 weeks.

the person who made this thread did it at 4 weeks ive hered of it done when there olderer also
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this has to be done by 4 weeks old for it to work. For the most part you should be able to tell the sexes apart by 2 to 3 weeks. I've had some of my Marans roo start to practice crowing at young as 2 weeks.

Quote:
I hope I don't get in trouble for asking this again, but does anyone know the answer to this?

I'm not sure, but when I butchered 15 week old FR they had a bunch of different size egg yolks in them, not sure what their ovaries look like. I usually can tell the difference in sexes by 2 weeks 3 on certain breeds I've raised, but definitely 4 weeks.
frow.gif
I will look tomorrow I have a girl in the batch of CX's that were all supposed to be boys. Maybe in mean time someone else will have answer.
Michele

Back
Top Bottom