I Caponized! ***Graphic Pics*** Not For Faint of Heart.

Sunny side.

You can get a flip down magnifier visor thing that is popular with fly tiers that might help you with the far sighted issues.

Also look for a cheap head lamp light. They look like a miners lamp and can be picked up at any of the big box & home improvement stores for $6-30 depending on how fancy you want it. I use mine a lot when doing electrical fixes when the power is off.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
I looked through that thread and didn't find an answer, but I will try asking the question over there.
If you did find you had a pullet and removed the ovary, you'll still end up with a plump "neuter" chicken that can be eaten.

:)

~Chris

I'm sure that is right, but it is not my goal to neuter females.​

There was mention on some thread about working on one particular side first, the reason being that pullets have one dominant ovary, the other is barely visable. It's always the one on a particular side, I forget which. But if you start on the other side of your chicks, and you find something, you'll know it's a cockerel with two testicles of the same size in the same place. If you don't see anything, it is probably a pullet & you're looking at the space where the non-dominant ovary is. Does that make sense? Now you just have to look up which side is the dominant-ovary side in all hens. I think it's the right side, but don't take my word for it.

The other thing you could do with 4-week-old chicks whose sex is uncertain is give them another week or two to grow more. It would still make a difference if you caponized the cockerels then, but would allow for any uncertainty to go away.

Quote:
That is great info! All I had to do was google "chickens dominant ovary" and quickly found out that the left ovary is dominant. I found some interesting stories about hen damaging the left ovary and taking on the appearance of a roo and starting to crow.
The other thing you could do with 4-week-old chicks whose sex is uncertain is give them another week or two to grow more. It would still make a difference if you caponized the cockerels then, but would allow for any uncertainty to go away.

That might be the way to go until I get better at sexing.​

Quote:
Sorry I have not been on to comment in a while. YES! I got some serious wind puffage that I had to take care of. At first glance it just looked like they were getting fat, but then I picked them up to move them into their new coop and boy howdy did they have some air under there. I just got a razor blade and popped it and it was done! when did you know if the ones you first did were full capons or slips?

Keep checking them for puffage, mine would re-inflate daily for several days until they healed. Since I did mine at a later age, and it didn't have such a dramatic affect on their behavior or appearance, I wouldn't know for certain if there were slips until I butchered them.

Benzocaine with an antibacterial is available at all walmarts. it will numb your bird and help sterilize. I don't know anyone who does numb them but u can.

Also I was thinking this would be highly effective in golden comets and other sexlinks. When you hatch out u will immediatly know who to caponize giving you a wide range of meat and layers quickly.

Thanks for the great photos
I have been researching this topic for a while got a kit but have not tried it yet
I have some Delewares comming soon so I will try on them (you can tell the sex soo as feathers come out)

Back
Top Bottom