I Caponized! ***Graphic Pics*** Not For Faint of Heart.

Quote:
I looked and didn't see anything about a castrated goose or duck. I'm guessing it is a no...

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this. Then again, ducks have a different sexual anatomy that chickens, so perhaps it would be a more involved procedure.

Ducks & geese, and especially the breeds typically kept for meat like Pekins & Embdens, are already such meaty birds that there may not be much benefit to castrating them.

I'm going to probably give caponing a try in a few weeks, I have everything I'd need, except a good pair of spreaders. I like the idea of keeping the boys as pets or food - depending on your intention and not having to worry about giving away the chicks you paid for and fed.
wink.png
I am tired of posting "free cockerals" on craigslist - lol.

Interesting... A few questions.

Does capononizing a roo make his growth change? (In size or physical appearance; such as feather pattern)

In what ways does it change his behavior?

Does he stop crowing or does crowing decrease at all?

Will all of your eggs be infertile, or is there a chance you would get a fertile egg every so often?

Also,is there any way to anesthetize or at least sedate the poor thing while you are chopping him up?

Thanks a million!

The biggest question is how long does it take to see the benefits of doing this? How old does the capon have to be before you really see them put on the mass that would justify doing this?

I am going to order some chicks to caponize and appreciate the posting of the procedure. I especially like the drinking straw retreiving tool you made, as this is what most people are describing they have trouble with. Hopefully I will be successful! Thank you for the information

Quote:
I know you meant caponize, to canonize is to declare a deceased person to be a saint. I've owned some nice roos, and eaten others, but none have ever been that good...
wink.png
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As for your question -- what I've found is that older cockerels are easier to operate upon, their parts are larger and easier to find, but it doesn't seem to make a really big difference in their growth, behavior, or appearance. The younger the cockerel the more effect the operation will have upon them, but the procedure can be more difficult because their organs are so much smaller.

Right now I'm not caponizing any more of my table cockerels until I can get some better tools, lighing, & magnification, or some younger, sharper-eyed helpers. My over-40 eyes have such difficulty seeing up close, but my boys reply YIKES! and cross their legs when I ask them to help.

Go ahead and caponize your 9-week-old cockerels, at least it will be good practice for you. If they conduct themselves well while you operate you might also have them canonized.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom