I caught my egg eater red-handed! Now what??

Consider that this book also has cure for cancer and baldness. Take it with a grain of salt but enjoy the history

From the National Farmers & Housekeepers Cyclopedia, 1888

Hens Eating Egge- If hens get into the habit of eating eggs, take enough bran and corn meal of equal parts for one feeding, and enough vinegar warmed to make the meal we enough for the hens to eat. Mix together and feed it to the hens.

You can also make the nest boxes smaller. That way they can lay the egg but then they cant stand up to turn around and inspect or eat the egg. I read online that a few people got their egg eaters to stop that way, smaller boxes and collect as soon as you can.

You might do a search for a rollaway nest box design. This is where the egg rolls out the back of the nest into a collection spot as soon as it is laid so the hen cannot get to it.

A big concern is that she may teach the others how to open an egg. If she opens it and the others join in is one thing, but whent he others start opening them, you have big time problems. I'd try to solve this fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom