I chickened out!?

Yeah, the method you describe sounds good, but it is kind of up close and personal. In the past I have used the method of securing their head with a little stockade on a hinge with closure and even a burlap piece to fasten over the bird to hold its wings down, and then beheading with a sharp hatchet. Then I would toss the bird into an old dryer drum where it would flop around a bit.

And, as donrae mentioned, a cone may be used - I helped our neighbor butcher this way - seems a bit better than my setup.

Or, find someone to help you on the bleeding out and killing step and you can do all the rest.

Honestly, I hire someone else to do the 'deed'. Yep, I'm a wimp so let the name calling begin. Anyway, don't feel bad that you chickened out. Lots of other folks here have done the same thing. I prefer the cone method and the person who processes for me uses such a device. Unfortunately you have selected a breed who are prone to heart issues due to the growth rate. They will do the 'cardiac flip' (seizure like flipping over) and die. However, I've seen a few meat birds live as long a 5 years-on a strictly controlled diet.

Not all of us are designed to be predators and there is no shame in feeling wimpy over processing your birds. Some of us get over it and some of us don't. Find someone who is willing to process them for you and allow you to watch.

Regards,

The Old Chick aka The Wimpette.

Welcome to BYC!

Now that makes sense to me. Watch someone else do it and decide if you want to try it.... Or not. I am not a wimp over blood but slitting a throat is too foreign to me.

I'll also join " wimpette "

Last edited:
I think the slitting of the throat is objectionable to me, too. I work in the veterinary field where ending a life is a bit more 'humanized'. Thus chopping, slicing or snapping the neck of an animal is a bit much for me. However, on the other hand, when it comes to protecting my flock or herd I've been known to snap off a kill shot. So at times us Wimpettes can be deadly.

The first time is very difficult. I culled my first rooster a few months ago, and it took me a couple days afterwards to rationalize it in my head, but after that I felt a lot better. I might try meat birds in the future, so I'm interested in how it goes for you.

Maybe you should just plan on doing one bird first as a trial run, then waiting a couple days before jumping into a group of them. I think once you come to terms with the first one the rest should be more business like.

I found that learning to kill animals is like quitting smoking. You have a very clear and rational objective. The only thing in your way is that your heart, mind, body, and soul don't want to do it.

A farmer in my area offered a class, so i did my first two birds under "adult supervision". There were LOTS of people doing this for the first time, so we all tried to be oh-so sensible about it. If you check with your local feed stores, poultry groups/clubs, 4H, etc, you might find something similar in your area. It was very helpful to me.

Taking a life is a big responsibility, so take it slowly and take proper care of yourself as well as your birds. Remember, most humans in our world are able to provide themselves with food, so you are participating in a normal course of human endeavor. Children are able to do this task. Think of yourself of joining in on a world-wide, cross-cultural activity.

How spoiled we've been, to be able to outsource production of the most fundamental supplies of our lives!

Kelsnod so what do you think? How's it been going? You've gotten all kinds of good advice............ What happened with the butchering????????

I don't get what you mean??do meat birds just die if you don't butcher them?is there life span shorter than layers?

I kept a Cornish rock hen for 3 years and finally had to put her down because of severe bumblefoot. She could eat an exponential amount of food and at the age of 3 she was so heavy it was hard to pick her up (LOL).

Back
Top Bottom