I did it all wrong - broody hen

RenataPorter

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
So, I had a broody hen and decided to let her sit on the eggs. Meanwhile, I didn't realize other hens were adding to her clutch and it took us too long to get a separate area built for her. A lot of the eggs broke and I didn't do such a great job marking and candling the eggs. There was one that looked like it hatched, but it was dead. Don't know if she killed it or not as this would have been her first go as a mom. Yesterday I decided to remove the remaining couple of eggs as it was going on 4 weeks (which they could have still been viable as I have no idea when they actually made it into the nest).
ANYHOW, the hens and definitely the rooster have not accepted her back into the fold. She was one of the top hens but now they either give her a hard time or they just stay away from her. I feel bad as I'm the one who screwed up with the brooding situation. Is this normal behavior, not accepting her back in? She keeps going to the nesting boxes and I keep pulling her back out kind of forcing her to work her way back into the fold. My guilt is making me feel I should go get her some baby chicks, but as a new mom I don't know if she will accept them and then I've got a whole other situation to deal with.

Sorry you did not have a good hatch!

It's hard to know if she killed the chick or if something else happened to it. Sometimes chicks scare the new moms and they don't know what to do with the babies so they peck them to death. He could have just as easily been accidently stepped on, or just was to weak to make it. He may also have died of hunger or thirst.

It's normal for them to not accept her. She's been gone for almost a month and they have to reestablish the order. It may take a few days for them to get it worked out.

You don't have to get her new chicks unless you really want to. It's a gamble though. There is the chance she could reject them and then you have to raise them inside. Or she could take good care of them.

Hopefully you learned a lesson through all this and can do better next time.

Yes. It can take a hen a bit of time to re-integrate into the flock. A good rooster should accept her and make her transition easy. (Is yours being a lazy boy?)

I'm sorry you had a failed hatch. She didn't likely kill the babe. She kept sitting on eggs that weren't hatching (due to a staggered hatch) and the babe died because she didn't get it to food and water in time....the problem with a staggered hatch.

At this point, I'd just reintegrate her. She's likely broken complete broodiness. If she goes back into a trance like state and wants to get chicks, then I would go down and get her some. Place at night. Keep her and fosters totally separate until fosters graft. (I personally don't have trouble with the hen wanting the chicks, but in my experience, feedstore, artificially brooded chicks don't understand to stay with the hen).

Likely she'll integrate again. It could take some time. (And again, BOO on your rooster who should be making her transition easy).

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom