I did it ! First time processing chickens!

bluere11e

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
West Palm Beach
I was invited to help my friend and fellow BYC'r Carol and another BYC and poultry club couple process their birds today. I have NO problem with dissection or anything gross. It's the killIng part I felt I would be unable to do. Fellow 1st timer Niki felt the same way. Carol took the reins and began. We collected up 2 of Carols Roos taped up their shanks and dropped them in the killing cones. Homemade out of a parking cone. Plastic plant pot and large bleach bottle. Nikis husband. Poor thing. With a broken hand no less. Got one of their 6 and in the cone he went. Carol explained and demonstrated the best way to begin the bleeding process. Her sons helped bring boiling wAter out to add to the make shift scalder. Before you knew it. In the hot water. Dip dip and plunk onto a foot hook. Shoop. Off came the feathers like wiping lint out of the dryer with wet hands. Lol
Onto the table and she showed us how to clean stem to stern. I jabbed the crop my first try
hmm.png

After that and once we went on to the 2 Nd set of three. I saw that the Roos were not scared or screaming and actually were going rather quietly. I steeled myself and with carol guidance. Dispatched my first one. It was sad and it hurt my heart a little bit. I told the roo I was sorry and thanked him for his life. Then on to the table he went. One of the very last birds. We encouraged niki to dispatch on and she did it too. So total for me was 4 killed and dressed and 2 that I just dressed for a total of 6. I thunk there was 16 Roos total. Most were americaunas barred rocks and jersey giants. One Russian orlof 2 buff orps and one of those carol had caponized a few months back. That one I dressed and noticed it was very fatty compared to the rest of the Roos. All in all it took us about 3 1/2 hours to do 16. We re going to get together in about 10 weeks to process Another group. I'll be picking up a dozen cornish crosses from tractor supply for that event. All and all it was a great day. I feel strong over the knowledge that I can and did process chickens. They were other peoples. But even if they're mine. I think I will be fine. Carol gave me a barred rock and a buff orp that we dressed out as a thank you. It was an unexpected much appreciated thank you on her part and I am forever grateful she allowed me to learn this.
I think I like the way the little bodies look from the lighter colour birds though. The golden ones don't have dark pores. The Cornish should really dress out nicely in June.

I grew up on a farm, but I had seven older brothers, so I only had to help butcher chickens once (more than 50 years ago, but watching a rooster get its head chopped off is still burned into my brain). I am just now getting back on a farmstead and I have only started a batch of laying hens, because I don't think I will be able to butcher any chickens I raise. I have joined a poultry club and members have said they will help me. Sigh... I know I can pluck and cut up, but still don't think I can kill them. I do want to raise my own chickens for meat, but I am holding off for right now. I would love to raise the Freedom Rangers when I get up the courage.

Congrats on making it through your first time!

Sunny!

I did my first 2 with the help of my sons a while back... I did the killing because I didn't want to make them do *that* yet. My 4 year old was the most eager of all of them though and wanted to do the cutting.
hmm.png

I told him he couldn't yet and he'll have plenty of opportunities later. We have since butchered two more and still have three to go from this batch.

Today, my 4 year old went outside to swing, and one of the roos attacked him and scraped up his leg with his spur. He came in crying, and I went out to catch him (the roo).... he attacked my son again while I was trying to grab him,
somad.gif
and my son cried out, "Kill him momma, I don't like him!" So.... I'll probably be butchering this roo tomorrow.... and I might actually let my four year old have the honors. (just kidding, he can't handle a knife yet. lol) This roo sure is a butt though.

We haven't figured out the right age for butchering yet.... these guys are way too old already.... I knew I wanted to prep them for the table which is why I got more than I needed, but it's still hard to bring myself to do it when I have to. (which is why they are so old now....) Hopefully with more practice, I'll be able to bring myself to butcher them younger so the meat won't be so stringy.

I told the roo I was sorry and thanked him for his life.

I've done that too when I first started. Thanked them for their sacrifice. But it does get easier as you go. The first couple are always the hardest. But I just keep reminding myself that there's no Social Security for old chickens and that's their purpose....and that bad roosters make good chicken and dumplings!

Congratulations on learning a new skill!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I've done that too when I first started. Thanked them for their sacrifice. But it does get easier as you go. The first couple are always the hardest. But I just keep reminding myself that there's no Social Security for old chickens and that's their purpose....and that bad roosters make good chicken and dumplings!

Congratulations on learning a new skill!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks. Most of the Roos were well under a year old. Most I'm sure will be for the stew pot. The 2 carol gave me will be simmered with lots of herbs then picked and put back in the pot for chicken and dumplins and chicken and yellow rice. Because I'll be cutting and picking. It'll be easier to tell if the meat will be stringier or tougher. I'll just cut it into smaller pieces. They're are resting in my fridge til Tuesday I'm told that's the best way. Sort of like aging but with chickens it takes less time. I had been planning this for a while and watched some of Joel Salatins videos on YouTube I had watched food Inc when it first came out and that made me madder than a wet hen. It was then I decided to start growing my own meat. Years ago. We bought male calves from the mooternity tent at the fair that's where people get to watch dairy cows calve and the boys are unwanted nso 25.00 each. I thought it was a deal. It wasn't in my opinion. I got the milk replacer and did what I could and they all got scours. My friend was doing the same thing and she didn't want to spend money on a vet. So we decided it would be better to kill them and use the meat. So. I got my 22. Went to her house and we did 4. Luckily I did know where to put the bullet. It hurt me so bad. We sliced and hacked for hours. And in the end. I took some tenderloin. All the livers and hearts and gave her the rest. The livers were the finest I had every eaten. And I don't like liver. The next time We do chickens I am saving all the livers. We really let a lot go to waste. Joel says save everything. But I like sauted chicken livers with onions and hard boiled eggs. My DH loves fried gizzards and livers. That would be a treat for him if he wants to clean the gizzards. Lol

clap.gif
Yay Laurelle! I'm glad the whole procedure was positive for you, and for Charles & Nikki too. I was glad to share what I know, and really glad to have had all your help & company too. I feel like I wasn't there enough, it was a day with an unusually high number of visitors and I had to keep leaving the table to go deal with them. And then those 3 roos snuck out of their holding cage and had to be chased alllll around the yard until they were caught again. Their running days are over now! You were a great help with your medical background, able to describe & explain things in scientific terms.

I like having the space in the meat bird pen, having less beaks to feed, less voices crowing, less vents pooping. My processed roos are resting in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic grocery bags. I plan to joint them tomorrow and simmer them in 2 pots of seasoned water, dark & white meat separate. I'll remove the bones & freeze the cooked meat in packets. Then I'll reduce the leftover stock and cook rice or noodles in it, and add vegs and some of the cooked meat back in.

We're in western West Palm Beach, FL, and any BYCer is welcome to come learn how to process here! Laurelle, I hope to process with you again, either my remaining roos or the roasters you plan to raise.

Quote:
Carol
You were wonderful! It was abeautiful day. And there was never a dull moment. One of my prizes is in the pot as we speak. I've already picked the meat and put it back in the pot with carrots. Onions. Celery. Garlic and corn meal dumplins. I think I snacked on more than went back into the pot. I will say this. There's not too much in the white meat department. The dark meat IS darker and a lot stringier. But. The flavor is much more pronounced than store bought. It's more. Well. Chickenier?
I wasn't surprised. But. I really was. I am so looking forward to doing this again. I am hoping to get my Cornish rocks before the weekend and hopefully we will be able to get together in about 2 or so months.
In the means time. Ask your home group if any one wants a dozen youngster mixed cockatiels all sexes and colours. I have to make room for all of these quails. I think Charles expressed interest in buying some of the babies quails. Email their contact info to me if you wouldn't mind.
Again. Thank you so much. The experience was priceless and will last me a life time. You know ngive a man a Gus he will eat for the day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Hopefully we can drum up some interest with other fellow BYCrs and have a heck of a party!

Back
Top Bottom