I don’t know what to do! Emergency?!

silkie2001

Songster
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Phoenix ax
Two nights ago for the first time in my life my chickens have been attacked by some sort of animal, I live in Phoenix Arizona so it’s likely a coyote or a fox because I believe I’m close enough to Tempe for them to be here too. I had four silkie chickens and now I’ve got two, one of the chickens was completely gone it looked like a murder scene there were feathers everywhere, the second chicken was laying dead in the middle of my yard with no signs of injury but it’s neck was limp and most likely snapped. She had a piece of her attached in her mouth.
My last two chickens had somehow made it all the way to my other side of my yard where they managed to wedge themself in between our garbage bin and a a wall and were safe from their attacker however when we found them in that morning they are very different from how they act. The smaller one is breathing like she’s a human and labor and hasn’t stopped, it’s been two days she lost a lot of feathers and has definitely either been bitten on the chest neck area or had a ton of feathers forcefully ripped from her because she has a few spots where she had bloody scabs. The other chicken seems to be perfectly fine on the outside but refuses to eat and is acting like she’s blind. I move my hand in front of her and she doesn’t react to it, I have offered food and water to them as well as cheese sticks (their favorite treat) and they don’t eat it they peck at it but don’t try to eat it, are they in shock are they going to die? Does anyone have any ideas I could try out to maybe get them back to normal, they are my babies from the second they hatched out the egg and hey are my first chickens I don’t know what to do.

Two nights ago for the first time in my life my chickens have been attacked by some sort of animal, I live in Phoenix Arizona so it’s likely a coyote or a fox because I believe I’m close enough to Tempe for them to be here too. I had four silkie chickens and now I’ve got two, one of the chickens was completely gone it looked like a murder scene there were feathers everywhere, the second chicken was laying dead in the middle of my yard with no signs of injury but it’s neck was limp and most likely snapped. She had a piece of her attached in her mouth.
My last two chickens had somehow made it all the way to my other side of my yard where they managed to wedge themself in between our garbage bin and a a wall and were safe from their attacker however when we found them in that morning they are very different from how they act. The smaller one is breathing like she’s a human and labor and hasn’t stopped, it’s been two days she lost a lot of feathers and has definitely either been bitten on the chest neck area or had a ton of feathers forcefully ripped from her because she has a few spots where she had bloody scabs. The other chicken seems to be perfectly fine on the outside but refuses to eat and is acting like she’s blind. I move my hand in front of her and she doesn’t react to it, I have offered food and water to them as well as cheese sticks (their favorite treat) and they don’t eat it they peck at it but don’t try to eat it, are they in shock are they going to die? Does anyone have any ideas I could try out to maybe get them back to normal, they are my babies from the second they hatched out the egg and hey are my first chickens I don’t know what to do.
Oh, that is so sad! If I was you I would just bring them in the house and put a towel on my tummy and put the birds on your chest and lay there with them for a few hours. They sound like they are in shock from all the terror that they have gone through.

Oh, that is so sad! If I was you I would just bring them in the house and put a towel on my tummy and put the birds on your chest and lay there with them for a few hours. They sound like they are in shock from all the terror that they have gone through.
Let us know how it goes and if they recover from the trauma

Thankyou for the recommendation I’ll try this!

They just need reassurance and to feel safe again. I think they just felt so alone and terrified, that’s what animals usually do when they are in a crazed fear state. They cram themselves into any little crevice to hide.

Those poor things!
Most animals will calm when a towel is placed around them and over their heads. I'd get the little dears into a calm, quiet, and darker location, towel on if you must. I'd avoid the human instinct to "baby" them. Let them gently know you are around, but otherwise try and let them rest.
My extra dog crate would be my go to here.

Those poor things!
Most animals will calm when a towel is placed around them and over their heads. I'd get the little dears into a calm, quiet, and darker location, towel on if you must. I'd avoid the human instinct to "baby" them. Let them gently know you are around, but otherwise try and let them rest.
My extra dog crate would be my go to here.
My chickens always look for me when they are afraid. They always want to be with me when something scares them.

This is the smaller chicken with the breathing issue and the mass feather loss I can’t seem to upload a video here sadly but I have the video of her breathing too I’ll try to get w youtube to link it later or something.

Attachments

• FF79FB9B-3A0A-4DA9-9192-DD2EAA506803.jpeg
    FF79FB9B-3A0A-4DA9-9192-DD2EAA506803.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom