I don't know what else to do! Can anyone help me?

jewellz15

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2015
Texas
I have 4 turkey poults left from my original 6. All of them seemed to be doing fine until I seen one who seemed different and not as playful. I checked him out and let him hang around outside his brooder, still inside my home, and he was perfectly fine then. A couple days later I came home and he was dropping blood from one of his spurs! Come to find out, one of the poults has been bullying the others. He will absolutely not stop pecking at their legs or wings. I've separated them inside the brooder but he still found a way to get on the other side to be with them. I felt bad and put them together but he will boy STOP! I've read online about turkeys being attracted to blood and can lead to cannibalism, and I don't want that to happen to them! The injured poult is now doing way better. But the other still won't leave them alone! I've separated them completely now, and I can tell he is lonely! I feel bad, but I don't want to risk him hurting the others further, or even killing them. They are only two weeks old and I've gotten them little stand things for them to roost, they loved that. And I've given them a small amount of leafy greens from outside to have something to peck at. I've even made their brooder bigger to give them more space, and he just doesn't stop. I don't know what else to do, any suggestions? Please?

That behavior usually come from boredom, is there a way they can spend sometime outside for a bit, and sometimes it can be too much heat, and sometimes it's the white bulbs, turkeys do better with red bulbs. I'm going to guess the bully will end up a tom.

If they are that active at two weeks they need more room and things to do, I've given mine greens to peck at, spinach, lettuce, dandelion leaves, they really are curious and meant to be out foraging. Just some ideas.

I think that may be a good option right now. I don't want the others to suffer either and they seem to do much better with him separated now. But I will try that, and I have chickens as well but I will be putting them in a different area in my front yard so they can explore a bit, and not risk getting sick. Hopefully this will help them thank you!

Back
Top Bottom