I don't know what this is

stapleberg3

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
I have a 6 year old hen, she has some kind of growth on her bottom, at first I thought it was a prolapse, but after I got the hard stuff off it was just a raw thing. I cleaned it best I could, put bluecote on to stop infection. Well it's back, very painful and as hard as a rock. I don't know what to do for here. I am attaching pictures.

Attachments

• 20220116_130955.jpg
    20220116_130955.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220116_130951.jpg
    20220116_130951.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220116_130938.jpg
    20220116_130938.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 1
Hard to tell the location of the lump.

Are you saying she had this once, it healed and now it has returned?
Bad odor?

Without more information, I'm sorry - you mention very painful, 6 year old, condition has returned...I would be inclined to put the hen out of her misery.

No odor, she is eating and pooping, it's not blocking her vent. She cries when I try to work on it. It's like it's attached.

It's below the vent, I did not see the prolapse the first time, it was just a raw piece of something, it didn't look like a prolapse. It had scabby stuff, when I tried to pull it off it started to bleed so I left it alone. Now it's back.

If you decide to treat it, I would bring her inside in a dog crate with food and water, and on a soft towel for bedding. Then once a day I would soak her bottom in warm Epsom salts or warm water with some chlorhexidene or betadine, and gently rub the area before rinsing. Then apply plain antibiotic ointment over the wound. Do you suppose that this area was pecked or injured?

I'm not sure she is the alpha hen so I don't think so. She is in the house now, I soak her with warm soapy water, and sprayed it with antibacterial spray. Where can I fine chlorhexidene or betadine?

The soap and water are fine, if followed by the plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Chlorhexidene or betadine can be found in most pharmacies and in feed stores. Hibiclens is a pharmacy brand of chlorhexidene and Walmart has it as well as drug stores.

Back
Top Bottom