I don't know what's wrong with my chicken

Hens24

Hatching
Apr 12, 2024
About a week ago, my chicken suddenly stopped laying eggs. She was standing around, and then sat while puffed up. We gave her some calcium through her water and food. We assumed she was egg bound, so we gave her a warm bath, dried her off and then put her in a dark area. This was 2 days after we saw her like that, and she laid an egg. Now, a few days later, she stands around, or sits down, doesn't eat, and walks slowly then stops, she picks at the ground, but she only nibbles a bit of food then stops like she's lost her memory, she looks like she wants to eat and drink, but it's like she's forgotten everything. We've given her warm baths everyday, tried to feed her with a spoon and give her water with a syringe, and she accepts it sometimes. She hasn't laid an egg since, her crop feels bony, and her oviduct feels bloated like there's an egg. But she's not lethargic, it's like she never sleeps. She sits, but she doesn't close her eyes or anything. She also has drippings from her vent, and her feces are quite clear. I'm scared, I don't want to lose her, all our other hens are perfectly normal and friendly, and she used to be friendly, walking up to us, following us around, now when we open the door, she doesn't pay attention or even react to us, and when we try to pick her up she runs away from us. Please someone let me know what's happening with her, we're trying everything we can.

All the symptoms you describe point to another egg stuck. Chances are it's shell-less. Give her calcium citrate with D3 as in the photo below. Pop it whole directly into her beak and then place her in a crate on several towels to absorb her watery discharge. Make water with a little sugar in it available and also her regular feed. Then put the crate in a quiet, dim place and let her rest without stress.
Give another calcium tablet in the morning.
P1010010.jpeg

High risk, & often deadly. Birds don't tolerate anesthesia very well. Rarely they live.

Actually veterinary medicine has come a long way. But it depends on where one lives and the availability of avian vets.

I have a hen who has had her oviduct surgically removed and she tolerated anaesthesia, surgery and recovery extremely well.

The best time to do it is 2 weeks post contraceptive implant when all the blood vessels have shrunk. Also it’s important to address any infection and make sure the bird is stable before performing the surgery.

The contraceptive implant by itself is an excellent treatment and prevention strategy for reproductive illness if the issue is caught early.

All the symptoms you describe point to another egg stuck. Chances are it's shell-less.

I remember reading your article Azygous about how the shell-less eggs can form a back log because the next egg is released before the previous one has a chance to be laid. I wonder if that might be what’s going on here.

I am aware, but they do, do it. And in this case it may be best for the hen if she keeps getting egg bound

Most of the stimulus to lay an egg comes from the salpinx/oviduct. Often vets won’t remove the ovary unless absolutely necessary due to its location and risk. However a healthy ovary can still produce and release eggs. So the surgery is not necessary a one-and-done solution to reproductive related issues. There may be ongoing need for ultrasounds to check for an active ovary and subsequent contraceptive implants.

If the ovary is active and releasing yolks into the abdominal cavity, it’s essentially internal laying and can result in EYP.

If only the occasional yolk is deposited into the abdomen usually the bird can reabsorb it and it doesn’t become an issue.

The implant also loses efficacy over time with repeated insertion. But a lot depends on the individual hen.

About a week ago, my chicken suddenly stopped laying eggs. She was standing around, and then sat while puffed up. We gave her some calcium through her water and food. We assumed she was egg bound, so we gave her a warm bath, dried her off and then put her in a dark area. This was 2 days after we saw her like that, and she laid an egg. Now, a few days later, she stands around, or sits down, doesn't eat, and walks slowly then stops, she picks at the ground, but she only nibbles a bit of food then stops like she's lost her memory, she looks like she wants to eat and drink, but it's like she's forgotten everything. We've given her warm baths everyday, tried to feed her with a spoon and give her water with a syringe, and she accepts it sometimes. She hasn't laid an egg since, her crop feels bony, and her oviduct feels bloated like there's an egg. But she's not lethargic, it's like she never sleeps. She sits, but she doesn't close her eyes or anything. She also has drippings from her vent, and her feces are quite clear. I'm scared, I don't want to lose her, all our other hens are perfectly normal and friendly, and she used to be friendly, walking up to us, following us around, now when we open the door, she doesn't pay attention or even react to us, and when we try to pick her up she runs away from us. Please someone let me know what's happening with her, we're trying everything we can.
Honestly considering she's egg bound AGAIN, I would talk to a vet about removing her oviduct

High risk, & often deadly. Birds don't tolerate anesthesia very well. Rarely they live.

The oviduct is actually the vagina of the hen, which is connected to the anus which is positioned to the right side of it.
Hard to find a picture with both.View attachment 3799917
I am aware, but they do, do it. And in this case it may be best for the hen if she keeps getting egg bound

Most of the stimulus to lay an egg comes from the salpinx/oviduct. Often vets won’t remove the ovary unless absolutely necessary due to its location and risk. However a healthy ovary can still produce and release eggs. So the surgery is not necessary a one-and-done solution to reproductive related issues. There may be ongoing need for ultrasounds to check for an active ovary and subsequent contraceptive implants.

If the ovary is active and releasing yolks into the abdominal cavity, it’s essentially internal laying and can result in EYP.

If only the occasional yolk is deposited into the abdomen usually the bird can reabsorb it and it doesn’t become an issue.

The implant also loses efficacy over time with repeated insertion. But a lot depends on the individual hen.
I think you guys are all lucky, I don’t think our vets know how to spell Poule (live hen wandering around) only poulet (chicken already prepared for eating)
Hugz

@Hens24 her eyes seem bright and her comb looks good. I would follow Azygous’ advice re: calcium and supportive care under the assumption it is another soft shelled egg. When the egg is stuck higher up it doesn’t block their ability to poop like how people usually talk about with eggbound hens.

She looks like a production brown chicken and unfortunately due to their breeding they are very susceptible to reproductive related issues. If you can find a vet who can give her the contraceptive implant it should give her body enough of a break to heal and reset.

Otherwise continue with calcium daily. Check her crop before roost to make sure she’s eaten and in the morning to make sure it’s empty. It might take her awhile to start feeling better on calcium therapy.

All the symptoms you describe point to another egg stuck. Chances are it's shell-less. Give her calcium citrate with D3 as in the photo below. Pop it whole directly into her beak and then place her in a crate on several towels to absorb her watery discharge. Make water with a little sugar in it available and also her regular feed. Then put the crate in a quiet, dim place and let her rest without stress.
Give another calcium tablet in the morning.View attachment 3799894
Thank you, do any of you know what could have caused this, she hasn't been back to normal for a whole week, not has she slept or eaten/drank

Back
Top Bottom