I don't like my eggs :( ???

tx_dane_mom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 23, 2007
SE Texas
Not quite sure if this is the *right* category but here goes -
I've always been told Brown eggs are best....and of course yard eggs are best. Well, my whole life I've grown up on store bought white eggs and have LOVED scrambled eggs. Well...last year wheN i had laying hens, I tried my eggs and didn't care for them so pawned them off...and just tried scrambled eggs again today, which my kids loved, but they looked like mustard (in color) even after adding some milk, and the taste...I just didn't care for.
I guess my question is...if I get white egg laying hens would they taste any different than the brown considering they are still yard eggs? Or are yard eggs yard eggs, and am I just not going to like them period?
My husband says it's just b/c I am so used to the store ones & I understand that...and I will try them again, and its not that they are nasty, just so much more...eggy I guess....

lol.png
it took me a bit to get used to them but now i love em and IMO the shell makes no difference in taste

I'm afraid your just really not used to fresh eggs. Store eggs have no flavor at all. You can keep forcing yourself and maybe get used to the good ol' farm eggs. However, I would wager that won't work. It's in your mind that you don't like them so you problably never will. Use them for baking. If you like stuff in you scrambled eggs, like peppers, onions and things you can help mask the flavor. You probably can't hide the richer color.

My DH says I may not like the eggs my pullets will lay. He said I will have to get used to the rich flavor. I plan on incorporating them slowly into our diets.

I love eggs now, but when I was pregnant, if someone was just cooking eggs, I would hurl.

That's funny, in that my DH says he can't taste any difference, and it drives me nuts. "Real" eggs taste as different as tomatoes from the store vs. your garden, to me anyway. You might get used to it, you might not, but I would keep trying. Starting with omelettes,etc. is a good idea. Instead of adding milk, you might want to try adding cold water. Other than that, I don't know, but I feel for you.

My sister won't eat them because of the rich yellow color. Me I can't stand store bought eggs. They are runny, flat, pale in color and they have no taste. Last year I sold off most of my flock and had to buy store bought eggs. First time I cooked them I couldn't eat them and tossed them in the dogs dish. I didn't eat another egg for over 6 months and that's when the new girls started laying. You could just bake with them and use them in other dishes until you get use to them.

Well, you could let the eggs get old in your fridge. You could also raise leghorns, which produce most of the commercial eggs that are sold.
Just a thought - do your hens eat a lot of table scraps? Some foods will impart certain unpleasant flavors into the eggs. Garlic is one of these - and it doesn't make the eggs taste garliccy, either, like I initially hoped, it just makes them gross. (I LOVE garlic and I thought that would save a step to have the girls eat it - one of my many grand ideas that didn't work out...)
tongue.png

I agree that it is probably in your mind. The first few eggs I got from my chickens tasted like rubber to me. I literally had to choke them down trying not to gag. But I knew it was in my head. LOL I remember eating them and enjoying them when I was a kid.

The second time I ate them, it was easier. By the third time, I could catch them right out of the chicken's butt and fry them up. Didn't phase me. LOL

Here's one thing you might try--mix them in with store bought eggs. Like if you are making an omlete, do 2 store eggs and 1 fresh egg. See if it still tastes bad to you.

Scramble them and serve them on top of grits (or rice, as my ex-in-laws from MO used to do) with cheddar cheese melted on top (will mask the color.)

In the end, it's up to you if you want to keep trying or not, but it is worth it!

Cassandra

Back
Top Bottom