I don't think I know anything about my chickies (pic heavy)

Thanks for the closer shots of the birds. Yes I'm definitely changing my vote on the red one to EE (didn't see the green legs in the other shot), but he's still very male.

Since this was just a backyard breeder with unknown practices giving you chicks, it is entirely possible that your Barred Rock is male despite being dark in coloration. Hatcheries gear their breeding programs towards maintaining genetic lines with really light males and dark females, so they can sell them 'gender guarenteed". Backyard breeders.... not so often.

well.. the bars arent really sopost to be Light.......
For males, yes.
_MG_7803.jpg
Here is my BR cockerel @ 5 weeks old.
_MG_8038.jpg
The girls are very obviously darker Are you sure they are 7 weeks old?

For males, yes.
_MG_7803.jpg

Here is my BR cockerel @ 5 weeks old.
_MG_8038.jpg

The girls are very obviously darker
Are you sure they are 7 weeks old?

Hm for some reason your pics aren't showing for me. I guess they were actually 8 weeks yesterday. Yes I'm sure on age -- they were 2-3 days when we got them.

ah I see. I can't see them because photobucket is blocked at work so I just get red Xs. I checked them out on my phone. Gah why does it have to be so hard to tell! He definitey has the features of your cockrel but coloring of the female. His comb was more defined than that at 5 weeks and thats about the time it started turning red. The BR female def doesn't have waddles like mine does either -- possible that this is because its a cross?

Guess it doesn't matter at this point, we wont be getting rid of them til we know for sure but I would like to pick up some new ones if I truely have all roos becuase I was hoping for some eggs this fall!

I would get some sex links if I were you. That way you don't get any more roos
hmm.png
Noted and lesson learned I guess :( Maybe we should just move to the country so I can keep them :D I'd like to add a goat to my backyard farm anyway ha ha

Back
Top Bottom