I don't think most of what I have is what I bought, LOL!

familypendragon

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex in North Texas
I bought my first ever chicks 10 weeks ago from Russel Feed and kept careful track of what I was sold....

This is Rutger Hauer and he is supposed to be a White Leghorn rooster, but I am thinking perhaps he is actually a Buff Orpington??? Thoughts?

There are 6 of these siblings that were supposed to be Ameraucanas but I am told by several more experience crazy chicken ladies that they appear to be Brown Leghorns. The top one, Kabuki is the only one that has any visible comb at all, the rest all look like the 2nd two. None have what I'd call beards, and one has no real tail - sort of buttless. Opinions??

This is Henna and she was sold as a Red Sexlink, but looks more like a RIR to me with the dark feather scattered on her back and tail - thoughts? She is also the one in the muffin tin with Rutger at the top.

This is the only one that looks to me to be right - a White Leghorn Pullet name Harlow.

Love to hear your guesses/opinions :)

Hi Familypendragon,

Wow, none of those look like what they told you. I am no expert, but I have never seen a buff pullet turn into a white hen. The others look like Welsummers to me. The sex-link looks like a RIR and the White leghorn pullet... Harlow.. I can't tell. No enough red in the comb for me to say roo, so you may have a name change coming... lol.
Nice pictures. I guess I would let the feed store know their mix up, but 10 weeks of love is a lot of time. Maybe they would offer to correct their mistake free of charge for next time.
Enjoy your babies!!

I'm thinking you nailed all those right in the head! First is a roo, buff Orpington. Second is a roo, brown leghorn looks right. The next two are pullets. The last is a pullet. Looks white leghorn. Leghorn Roosare red by the time they are 8-10 weeks old. That's a pretty big mix up by the feed store!

Rutger Hauer looks like a Buff Orpington cockerel
The chickens that were supposed to be Ameraucanas look like Brown Leghorns. The chick in the first pic is a boy, rest are pullets
Henna is a Rhode Island Red pullet
Harlow is a defo White Leghorn pullet!
You have really pretty birds!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom