I finally did it!!

KDOGG331, I'm Blooie, and I'm guilty of getting the Mama Heating Pad thing spreading like crazy. I can't claim the idea - smarter people than me did it first, like Patrice Lopatin, Beekissed, aart, and CrzyChknLady81, who all blazed the path before me. I was just lucky enough to be the one to put all of the information together in one place, and a lot of very good, very brave people picked it up and ran with it.

Sites that talk about raising chicks with Mama Heating Pad, either indoors or out, can be found in the links in my signature, just below. Actually all three links have some information. One is about Scout, the little roo who got frostbitten feet and ended up being my trial-by-fire for the heating pad cave. There is also a link to the Mama Heating Pad thread...a lot to take in there but there is a video on page 4 which shows my chicks using their heating pad cave indoors, and a few pages later the same chicks can be seen on a video using the system outdoors, as well as another batch of chicks yet a few more pages in.

KDOGG331, I'm Blooie, and I'm guilty of getting the Mama Heating Pad thing spreading like crazy.  I can't claim the idea - smarter people than me did it first, like Patrice Lopatin, Beekissed, aart, and CrzyChknLady81, who all blazed the path before me.  I was just lucky enough to be the one to put all of the information together in one place, and a lot of very good, very brave people picked it up and ran with it.  

Sites that talk about raising chicks with Mama Heating Pad, either indoors or out, can be found in the links in my signature, just below.  Actually all three links have some information.  One is about Scout, the little roo who got frostbitten feet and ended up being my trial-by-fire for the heating pad cave.  There is also a link to the Mama Heating Pad thread...a lot to take in there but there is a video on page 4 which shows my chicks using their heating pad cave indoors, and a few pages later the same chicks can be seen on a video using the system outdoors, as well as another batch of chicks yet a few more pages in.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. :) I'm on mobile right now but I'll turn desktop view back on and check out the links. I read the one above but I'll read the others and watch the videos. I like videos anyways, being a more visual person.

Personally though, I don't think there's anything to be guilty of, considering it's such a great idea and SHOULD be spread. :p

I'm wondering though, do heating pads not get that hot? Seems like there'd be at least a little bit of fire hazard being directly on towel and hay and stuff or no?

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
smile.png
I'm on mobile right now but I'll turn desktop view back on and check out the links. I read the one above but I'll read the others and watch the videos. I like videos anyways, being a more visual person.

Personally though, I don't think there's anything to be guilty of, considering it's such a great idea and SHOULD be spread.
tongue.png

I'm wondering though, do heating pads not get that hot? Seems like there'd be at least a little bit of fire hazard being directly on towel and hay and stuff or no?
I suppose an older heating pad with heat coils inside that have become brittle can overheat and cause a problem, but on the thread we discourage folks from using them and steer them to the Sunbeam X-Press heat. The automatic shut off can be disabled on that one by turning the switch to that setting, and because the pads are pretty new they haven't been "loved to death" yet. Mine was on continuously from March 1st until May. Yep, heating pads do get hot, but think about the heat difference between a heating pad and a heat lamp. A heating pad has been specifically designed to be use in almost direct contact with the human body. I don't want my fingers coming into direct contact with the bulb from a heat lamp. Heating pads can be used against the fabric of our clothing, upholstered furniture, or bedding. I don't want anything flammable touching a heat lamp - not the walls, the chicks' bedding, the side walls of the brooder - not even the dust and dander from the chicks themselves. Even that can combust when it coats that bulb enough. so can floating feathers and down. So in the overall scheme of things I'll take a heating pad any day. It gets warm enough to do exactly what we want it to do - heat just the chicks and their immediate cave environment.

I suppose an older heating pad with heat coils inside that have become brittle can overheat and cause a problem, but on the thread we discourage folks from using them and steer them to the Sunbeam X-Press heat.  The automatic shut off can be disabled on that one by turning the switch to that setting, and because the pads are pretty new they haven't been "loved to death" yet.  Mine was on continuously from March 1st until May. Yep, heating pads do get hot, but think about the heat difference between a heating pad and a heat lamp.  A heating pad has been specifically designed to be use in almost direct contact with the human body.  I don't want my fingers coming into direct contact with the bulb from a heat lamp.  Heating pads can be used against the fabric of our clothing, upholstered furniture, or bedding.  I don't want anything flammable touching a heat lamp - not the walls, the chicks' bedding, the side walls of the brooder - not even the dust and dander from the chicks themselves.  Even that can combust when it coats that bulb enough. so can floating feathers and down.  So in the overall scheme of things I'll take a heating pad any day.  It gets warm enough to do exactly what we want it to do - heat just the chicks and their immediate cave environment.

Wow, you're definitely selling me here!! Haha I think I may have to do that instead. Especially because I have pretty bad anxiety lately so if the heat lamps that flammable or that bothersome to the chicks I'm realizing now I'll probably stay up like all night worrying about them. I'm usually up late anyway but still. Plus I do like the idea of not having to raise it every week and all that and them already being used to nighttime. I'm still a little worried though about it being warm enough in the very beginning? They're so tiny and it will be the very end of October they're getting here. I know they're hardy but I worry about everything aha also does it take up that much room?

I'd clean them both. I've also been looking at wire fencing and stuff to make the cave, seems there's a ton of the stuff.

Last edited:
The books all got here yesterday and today. :D and the poultry nipples aha I got them from two sellers on Amazon because I wanted to see the difference between both kinds/wanted extra even though I knew they're the same kind and I just checked the packages and they're actually from the same exact address too, just a different company name and one bag is beat up. But anyway, I got a 10 pack and a 25 pack. I know 35 is way too many especially for only 9 chickens but I figure it's good to have extras in case they break or anything. Plus eventually I'll have more chickens. I think I'll start the chicks on them and then have a few buckets as adults. Probably won't keep the water inside the coop as I've learned from here it makes inside more humid and/or they can spill the water and make a mess. So probably one or two inside the run and then maybe a couple scattered around the yard too. Same for feeders. Except the feeder I'll probably keep inside the run. I'll pick up some buckets eventually but probably not until they actually get here. What can I put the nipples in for the chicks? I'm gonna make feeders too. I think the street elbow bucket type kind. I'll pick up a heating pad and wire fence as it gets closer too. For the heating pad, do you have to leave it on a day or two to heat up the cave before the chickies get here like you have to heat the brooder with the lamp? Or is it fast? I'm planning on reading all the books too. Not much of a reader and in fact never read anymore but I want to learn as much as possible and these seem easy to get through. May start with the coop one. Oh and also forgot to ask in the section I mentioned it in but how many nipples can you put on a bucket? 3? 4? I think they're the vertical kind but you could probably put them in any way. I'm doing vertical though. Also they're the threaded/screw on kind but I didn't really understand exactly WHAT you're screwing them into? I can copy this part and put it in the other thread if needed

I was finally able to find silkie bantams.
1f601.png
I managed to get the last two at the newberry poultry swap

Back
Top Bottom