I fought a coyote over my dead rooster and lost, now it's returning every day.

"this piece of crap has also gone after my neighbor's newborn calves and two of the other neighbor's cats have gone missing."

the Cayotes around here keep a pretty low profile. to me, when a wild critter becomes too bold and starts killing pets and stock, I don't have a problem with the idea of dispatching it. that said, doing so is not easy, it can be sad all the way around as it may have pups of it's own and be desperate for food. perhaps it's time to do some target practice, sharpen your marksmanship and get something with a scope. hardware cloth is wonderful stuff but you would need to keep them in at least for a while and create a large enough pen for them and mend all the seams nice and tight.

Last edited:
first let me say how sorry I am that you are having to go through this. It is always hard to lose a chicken, for many of us they become important parts of our lives. Now, you say you aren't a great shot, and your neighbor has small children, and this bad boy knows when you are and aren't there. Bad enough he got your roo and went after you, but one has to draw the line when children are involved. Can you or your neighbor get a hold of a shotgun? This thing has to go. I know some people may feel differently, however, we need to consider how we would feel if he got you or your neighbor's kids. Or at least I would have to consider the kids, since wildlife/conservation won't do anything. You have tried to do the right thing and contact them, and have been left with no choice (you and your neighbors), but to handle the situation yourself. However you decide to handle it, good luck

I don't have much to offer in the way of advice, except to be vary wary of a coyote or coon or about any other wild animal that would allow you to get close enough to engage in hand to hand combat. That isn't normal and is an indication of an animal that is sick. Normally people think of rabies, but canine distemper is more likely. NEVER EVER get close enough to an animal like this you can touch it or allow it to bite you.

And also, in close quarters with a moving target, a shotgun is far and away a more effective weapon for dispatching varmints. A 12 or 20 gauge with BB's or#4 buckshot will drop any of them graveyard dead with one shot, and there is a whole lot more room for error.

I am so very sorry for your loss. You have every right to grieve. The "just a chicken" line of thought is speciest. If you feel he was your son, he was your son! Let yourself grieve. There is no shame in loving another even though he happened to be a chicken. I really am sorry. Hugs ❤

I'm so sorry for your loss!! I understand the love one can have for an animal... they do become so dear to us so quickly.
I agree with the other members suggestions of snare trapping and or shooting the coyote. I have never dealt with a coyote before, but from what I know, this will be the easiest and safest way for you to deal with Chunk's murderer.
Best of luck to you. I hope you find some closure. :hugs

A 16 gauge would work too. My dad's old 16 was my first youth gun. Only problem with those is they are not too common, so are hard to find and not everyone carries shells for them. But in many ways, a 16 is almost perfect. Always been a puzzle to me why they were not the most popular of all.

In really close quarters......under 20 feet........even a .410 would work if you made a head shot. Classmate of mine in the sixth grade found that out the hard way when his brother accidentally shot him. It was a closed casket funeral.

Back
Top Bottom