I found a bald spot!

tinkerbell265

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
So... I'm not too worried about it at the moment but I did have a few questions.

I've got an Australorp who is just under a year (around 9 months.) She is laying great, acting normal, and currently out in my yard foraging. The problem is; my husband picked her up before he went to work and I noticed this small bald patch on her. I would have never even seen it if it hadn't been for him flashing her underside. The skin doesn't look irritated, the patch is literally about the size of a girl scout cookie, and it's located on the breast/stomach area.

Does anyone have any ideas to what it might be? The coop doesn't appear to have any mites or anything that could be causing her to have a bald patch and my other hen doesn't have one. So... I guess if anyone has any thoughts, It'd be helpful!

This is my first flock and I've only had them for 9 months... I'm a little green on the whole chicken-keeping thing.

Thanks for the time and patience! :D

Could she be broody? Can you post a picture? Look her over for lice and mites (the red mite only comes out at night.) If hens turn broody and hang out in the nest box trying to hatch an egg, they will pull out feathers on the chest and abdomen. If it is more toward the vent, it may be that another chicken is pulling her feathers and eating them.

It's pretty much on the breastbone area. What are the broody signs? Or could she be molting? I'm not sure what the signs for that look like either. She's not really sticking to her nesting boxes. Whenever I go to let them in the yard she is eager to get out so there's nothing abnormal there. But here are a couple shots of her. Her skin doesn't look irritated or anything but it's just bald. What do you think?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom