I found a young bird unable to fly... can I put it with my chicks?

farlo4

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
Okay, interesting things are always happening to me. :p
I found a young bird stuck in my lawnmower bag. It's still a baby, but it's feathered in. It can flutter around but is unable to fly... kind of crashes into stuff. I stuck it in with my chicks; they are about the same size, the chicks are just a bit bigger. I'm hoping it will recover having food, water, warmth, and shelter. Everyone is getting along but I know that birds can carry diseases, so I am wondering if it's a bad idea to put the bird with the chicks?

Bad idea! What kind of bird? Many places have wildlife rehab people available; try to find someone like that. Your DNR, or nearby avian veterinarian, may be able to help. Or the Humane Soc.? Lice, mites, internal parasites, maybe diseases, all possible from this exposure. Also, this wild bird needs to grow up wild, with it's own species. Mary

Bad idea! What kind of bird? Many places have wildlife rehab people available; try to find someone like that. Your DNR, or nearby avian veterinarian, may be able to help. Or the Humane Soc.? Lice, mites, internal parasites, maybe diseases, all possible from this exposure. Also, this wild bird needs to grow up wild, with it's own species. Mary

I don't know what kind... it has long yellow "lips" lining it's mouth. That's the only way I can think to describe it. I have a terrarium in my house I can move it to.

It's in a terrarium now in the house with water and chicken food in with it. Not sure if he'll eat chicken food, but it's bedtime and I don't want to deal with it anymore tonight.

I found a picture of it online. Apparently it's a Starling. It looks just like this:

Back
Top Bottom