I found out how I came to be! And my mom is getting chemo next week :(

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
My dad told me that after 4 miscarriages, and a baby that only lived for 3 days, him and my mom tried again and I came into the world about a month early then when I was supposed to come out. I had to stay in some machine thing at the hospital for a month and a half. All I can say is wow! Why me though?
My mom had breast cancer, well she had the tumor, it was caught early but after she got it removed the doctors want to do chemo for her to make sure that the cancer won't come back. She already cut her hair short because she doesn't want long hairs falling out everywhere. I honestly know little to nothing about cancer and those who are fighting it. I really thought I wasn't gonna be in those situations alot of other people get themselves into but here I am feeling nervous and scared.. But should I be scared if my mom is getting chemotherapy? Doesn't it help her? She has to do it for 2 or 3 months, so there goes any traveling over the summer, but it's alright it's for my mom d-(n__n)-b
This is all just really odd for me. I don't really know how to react to any of this. I'm scared for myself too, what if breast cancer is hereditary? My mom's mother and 2 sisters died from it and now my mom has it.

Breast cancer does have a hereditary component, and you are at more risk since your mother and aunts had it. Best thing to do is make sure you get yearly GYN exams, and make sure you're doing self-exams in the meantime. And when you get 30 (I think) insurance will pay for you to get yearly mammograms as well.

I am 26 and my grandmother on the father's side had to have both breasts removed due to cancer. So I am at a slight risk. All these precautions are what my Dr told me to do.

Wow! You really were a special gift to your parents, weren't you?

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer almost 20 years ago, and she's still very much alive and cancer-free. For a variety of reasons, they did radiation on her (don't believe they did chemo; at least, I don't remember her losing her hair). Catching it early is a huge thing in your mother's favor!

Yes, it's scary. I remember when my mother called me and told me of her diagnosis. I was a grown woman in my 30's, and I cried on and off for days. Mostly it was for her - she was putting a brave face on, but I knew how she was feeling deep down. Some of it was for me, because I was afraid of losing her. Parents are very important to you, even after you grow up!

I wish I didn't have to say this, but yes, the tendency to develop certain types of breast cancer is inheritable. Women who have had female relatives that have had it have a much higher risk of developing it, too. My mother had no sisters, neither did her mother, but both of them got breast cancer, so where does that leave me? Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. But like I said, catching it early is a big part of surviving it (my grandmother died of heart disease at 95, 20+ years after she was diagnosed). If you don't know how to do self-exams, learn! A doctor that is familiar with your family history could advise you better. Look at it this way - you may have a higher than average chance of getting it, but if you know what to look out for, you have a better than average chance of catching it early, too!

I'm praying for you and your family!
fl.gif

What's a GYN exam? When do I start doing those? I'm not 18 yet but getting close. And thank you for the prayers. My mom was originally supposed to do radiology but the doctor changed his mind. This is all just so weird. When another 'run for breast cancer' event goes on I will definately join. Probably with one of my friends too, her grandmother has cancer aswell.
With alll the miscarriages and early dying baby, my parents had me at a rather late age. My dad met my mom right after he got out of the Vietnam War. My dad is his 70's and my mom is leering towards her 60's. I'm so thankful that the cancer was caught early, because if I lost my mom then my dad's life and mine would just crash. We'd have to get rid of all the animals, or downsize to a really small number. I would have to do quadruple times of house chores. It wouldn't be able to balance out with my school life. My dad is handicapped so he wouldn't be able to help much. And then when my dad goes I'd be alone. Just not good stuff. I need both parents around for sure.

A gynecological exam, usually involves a pelvic exam and assorted swabs to check for abnormalities of the cervix. I hate them but it's only once a year, and you can talk to the doctor about your family history with cancer. My doctor always does a breast exam at that time as well, and she showed me how to do a self-exam too. The first time I went I was 19, so you're not late or anything, lol.

I know that has to be so scary for all of you. Like others have said, the fact it was caught early is a wonderful thing for your mom and greatly increases her chances of successful treatment. Just hang in there and be strong.

As for you, definitely keep up with your yearly exams. They will examine your breasts then, as well, and do regular breast self exams. I have no family history of breast cancer so I am not positive, but isn't there a blood test they can do now to help determine your risk of developing breast cancer if you do have a family history? I would look into that.

Good luck to your family. I hope everything goes well and your mom becomes cancer free.

Back
Top Bottom