I found something odd when butchering, what is it? (graphic photos!)

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
I was butchering two cockerels today, and found something odd in both of them that I had not come across before.
P2120110.JPG
P2120113.JPG

These lumps along the neck. (the biggest thing in the second pic is the crop) I cut one open, and it looked just the same as they do from the outside, quite like meat but a bit softer and paler.
All the rest of the chickens looked very healthy, all the organs and everything were perfect as far as I could tell.
It did occur to me that it could be tumors like you might get with Marek's or something, but I dunno.
Any ideas? And do you think the chickens are safe to eat as long as we cook them thoroughly? I would hate to waste them.
I cut all the 'things' out, but might have missed a small bit.
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this, but I figured the most knowable people are here.

@U_Stormcrow

I'm not sure personally. Did they show up when you looked at the living bird? Or were they not visible then?
I never noticed anything while they were alive, but then I didn't really look either.
I'm pretty hands off with my cockerels, and apart from occasionally picking them up to check their weight and condition I don't handle them.
They sure looked healthy though.

Its not something I've seen in my birds, but as I've said before, what I don't know about poultry illness and injury would fill books. and DOES!

I found this from years ago, here on byc, which would make that "goiter". The problem with "goiter" is that its descriptive, not diagnostic.

Possible causes include too much or too little iodine, Vit D deficiency, calcium deficiency, with a genetic component. But again, I don't know what I'm talking about, and the images I'm finding on line aren't closely matching what you posted above.

Last edited:
I have never seen that before, but I have only necropsied or butchered hens. My first thought was a lipoma or fatty tumor, but those would have been yellow like fat (I might be wrong.) They don’t really look cancerous at this stage, but I would wait for more people who butcher to comment.

Back
Top Bottom