I got wiped out!

Awwwwww...so sorry for your loss. At least there was one little "survivor"!

Chicken wire is totally useless against racoons. They can bite right through it or pull it apart.

Hope you get the ones that did this real soon.

Standard chicken wire will not stop a coon. They can easily rip it up. If he couldn't have ripped it loose, he would have just ripped a hole in it.

So sorry, good luck with the next batch. The description "buttercup hen with 10 chicks" sounded so awesome!
hugs.gif

Well how about a few standard Shamo or Saipans? Heck our bantam Malays will gang up on cats and run them off! Sometimes it's all the cats can do to get away.

Sorry for your lost but today my brother did help you thin 1 out, I couldn't do it. That thing try to get into the coop like it did the first time this time we set the trap right under the tree and caught a babe, maybe a few months old my brother had to kill it didn't get pass the trap. Hopefully with all of us thinning it out you can start up again soon.

I have the good luck of having neighbors down the road who enjoy feeding wild coons table scraps and considers them their "friends". (wait till one turns on her, possibly with rabies). They also have two dogs that run wild and have killed three deer that I know of. I see them running deer in the mornings. One small Axis deer had his back hind leg chewed off. We use to have a heard of twenty two in our valley and now they are gone. I ran one of the dogs off, trying to dig into my coop. I told them the coons are being thinned out as we speak and the dogs are next. Enough is enough. They moved her from a large city. The only way to take care of your flock is to be extremely aggressive in protecting them against, selfish, insensitive, people and predators. As you know, something you care deeply about can be gone in a flash. Starting a flock is fun and fulfilling but it's no walk in the park to raise and keep them. Good luck, franko

Back
Top Bottom