I guess we should be thankful, but Pullet has bloody comb and we need HELP!

LDec21

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2023
Good Morning,
Background Info: We are very new backyard chicken parents. We started with 15 baby chicks @ 3 days old from a local feed store.
First Egg - July 31 - laid from roost at night by Leghorn(?). Another 5 eggs in nesting boxes, and then another from roost at 4am - which seems to have been in tact, but another chicken pecked at it and broke it (soft shell)

Anyway..
I found the lower door of the run partially open at the bottom. Then we found a pullet with a bloody comb. This is footage we found thus far which probably explains the injury. :-( I am so freaked out now!

https://ring.com/share/e0bf1d52-da6a-4a00-beac-4ee18e4ce6d1

How/what do we do for this poor young lady? Is it really necessary to quarantine her and put blood stop on her? Can we use Neosporin or some household item? Can she be brought into the house and placed in the 2*4*4 brooder?
Any ideas of how to prevent this in the future?
Thank you in advance all for reading and providing guidance

Best,
Ursula

Attachments

• ChickCombDamage.jpg
    ChickCombDamage.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 145
  • ChickCombDamage-3.jpg
    ChickCombDamage-3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 5
  • ChickCombDamage-2.jpg
    ChickCombDamage-2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5
  • ChickCombDamage-1.jpg
    ChickCombDamage-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 5
Good Morning,
Background Info: We are very new backyard chicken parents. We started with 15 baby chicks @ 3 days old from a local feed store.
First Egg - July 31 - laid from roost at night by Leghorn(?). Another 5 eggs in nesting boxes, and then another from roost at 4am - which seems to have been in tact, but another chicken pecked at it and broke it (soft shell)

Anyway..
I found the lower door of the run partially open at the bottom. Then we found a pullet with a bloody comb. This is footage we found thus far which probably explains the injury. :-( I am so freaked out now!

https://ring.com/share/e0bf1d52-da6a-4a00-beac-4ee18e4ce6d1

How/what do we do for this poor young lady? Is it really necessary to quarantine her and put blood stop on her? Can we use Neosporin or some household item? Can she be brought into the house and placed in the 2*4*4 brooder?
Any ideas of how to prevent this in the future?
Thank you in advance all for reading and providing guidance

Best,
Ursula
Omg that’s terrifying. So glad they weren’t out ranging. That’s a huge coyote !
For the pullet, I’d clean her up with paper towels slightly wetted , and asses the injury’s or post better pics. If the cuts are extremely deep, I would take larger precautions but if they aren’t as bad as they look , then she can be neosporin lathered and turned back with her friends.
What do you think she hurt her face on ?

Omg that’s terrifying. So glad they weren’t out ranging. That’s a huge coyote !
For the pullet, I’d clean her up with paper towels slightly wetted , and asses the injury’s or post better pics. If the cuts are extremely deep, I would take larger precautions but if they aren’t as bad as they look , then she can be neosporin lathered and turned back with her friends.
What do you think she hurt her face on ?

LDec21

Hatching​

Aug 4, 2023340
We have double doors on the run, and latches are on the top parts of the doors. It looks like she tried pushing her way out(?). Time to add latches to the bottom of the door!
We think they tried escaping out of the run. OMG I am so freaked out!

Poor girl! She probably got injured from running into something cause of being freaked out by that coyote. Get her wounds cleaned up, and then apply neosporin. It would be best to separate her until her wounds heal a bit more.

I'm glad you're flock is safe from that coyote, but do you free range your flock ever?

Poor girl! She probably got injured from running into something cause of being freaked out by that coyote. Get her wounds cleaned up, and then apply neosporin. It would be best to separate her until her wounds heal a bit more.

I'm glad you're flock is safe from that coyote, but do you free range your flock ever?
Thank you!
I WANT to free range her but hubby doesn't want to. I now know why! LOLOLO
Ok clean up time now. She looks so sad and in pain

Glad the coyote didn't get into your coop!

Get her comb cleaned up and apply some neosporin. If it's still bleeding, you can put some kind of bloodstop on it. Cornstarch or flour works if you don't have any in your first aid. After you've treated her external wounds, offer her some sugar or electrolyte water/gatorade and some scrambled egg to help with the shock.
Keep her separated for a from the others for a while so she can recover.

You should quarantine her until the comb heals completely. The other chickens will pick on the wound and cause more damage. When chickens see blood, they go into cannibal mode, and try to eat bits off the wounded hen.

And that may be why it looks so bad now. It could have initially been a small bleeding wound, and the other chickens made it worse.

One of mine had a small rip in its comb that was bleeding, and the other chickens kept pecking at the wound. Good thing I caught it early. I slathered on neosporin (do not use the kind with pain relief- it's poisonous to chickens, I believe) and kept her quarantined for a little over a week, until the wound was healed.

Get her comb cleaned up and apply some neosporin. If it's still bleeding, you can put some kind of bloodstop on it. Cornstarch or flour works if you don't have any in your first aid. After you've treated her external wounds, offer her some sugar or electrolyte water/gatorade and some scrambled egg to help with the shock.
Thank you! Will Neosporin with Pain Relief help or is there another Neosporin w/o pain relief? Vaseline??

You should quarantine her until the comb heals completely. The other chickens will pick on the wound and cause more damage. When chickens see blood, they go into cannibal mode, and try to eat bits off the wounded hen.

And that may be why it looks so bad now. It could have initially been a small bleeding wound, and the other chickens made it worse.

One of mine had a small rip in its comb that was bleeding, and the other chickens kept pecking at the wound. Good thing I caught it early. I slathered on neosporin (do not use the kind with pain relief- it's poisonous to chickens, I believe) and kept her quarantined for a little over a week, until the wound was healed.
Ahh! OK Thank you. You answered my question!

Thank you. Will do!

Back
Top Bottom