I had no idea it would be this bad...

4hchknmama

Songster
10 Years
Jan 25, 2009
Monroe, WA
Ok, I am fairly new to the whole chicken thing. I had them when I was a kid and we have had one or two off and on for the past couple of years, but, I guess you can say I have been really bitten by the bug this time! I built my own incubator, mainly for my kids to watch a hatch (My son is in 4H and I thought he would enjoy the experience) and I got some mutt eggs from a lady close by. Well our first hatch in our homemade bator gave us 5 chicks (although, I had to cull one). Not to mention since we started hatching we have acquired a trio of Buff Silkies, 2 Sicilian Buttercup hens, a Dutch Bantam hen, and tomorrow I have two more Silkie Roos and another hen coming (These on top of my sons 4-H chicks! Now, to top this ridiculous sickness off, our feed store has chicks in! I stopped by to get some grain for my horse and lo and behold chicks! Well, they had Barred Rock babies in and I have wanted one forever and always missed them when they were in, so, little Molly has joined the other babies in the nursery. Not to mention they are getting one shipment a week for the next several weeks and this week they are getting giant cochins!!
barnie.gif
Aaaggghhh! Plus, I have another 8 eggs in my little incubator. I mean, seriously, does this ever stop or is this going to be an affliction/addiction that will plague me for the rest of my days!?! *sigh* Oh well, I figured someone on this forum was bound to understand, lol.

OHHHH, girl! You are scaring the bejesus out of me! I am just getting my first chicks this weekend Welsummers! Pray for meeeeeeee..........
love.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
hide.gif

Last edited:
Yes the addiction is real and baby chicks will steal your heart and soul, even if they aren't silkies.
Resistance is futile.

Mine started with 2 chicks. Then to 8. Now it's 35. I want more but I would have to get another coop. My coop was suppose to be half storage and a small area for the chickens and guess what....it's all coop.
wee.gif
And we are thrilled. We love ours. BTW: One of my favorite breed are the buttercups. They are the sweetest chickens I've ever been around.
love.gif

I think we all start out the same way wanting 1 or 2 and well by the time its all over with you just cant resist. I couldnt imagine my life without chickens. I could sit and just watch them for hours.

wink.png
I went by a feed store today and looked at some chicks to get my "fix" I cannot wait for mine to be in next week!! It is taking everything in me to not buy more!!! It helps that the one I went to today is the only feedstore within 45 min that has chicks right now
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom