I had to put my ducks down :(

pookiethebear

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
I went out Sunday to find 2 of my ducks beating the snot out of the other duck. He took quite the beating and was not going to make it. So I figured if I had to do one I was going to do all three. So now the ducks are in the freezer and I am very sad.

We had planned on doing it before winter but the circumstances were not as I would have liked.

It was a sad day and I have cried a lot over these silly yucks.

I am sorry that was so hard for you. Are you saying you were planning on doing it anyways? I don't think I could have done it, but it was the right thing.

Yes we got them to be meat birds and they turned out so commical and funny that they kinda turned into these goofy pets that would not come near you. They would never go in their box to get warm or out of the elements (heat or rain) so we knew they would freeze in the winter. We knew we would eventually dispatch them just not under these circumstances. It was so very hard.

They are in the freezer now and I really hope I can get over this ordeal before we cook them.

I'm sorry that you don't have your goofy friends to cheer you up... It seems they kind of took matters into their own hands (er...bills). Wonder what made them turn mean to the other duck...

I am n0t looking forward to culling wo of my drakes of either. I still dont kow which two.
sad.png

Ducks and geese are some of the toughest animals in existence when it comes to cold weather. I have raised ducks in South Dakota in the coldest winters, and they rarely go inside. They would rather sit outside even in blinding snowstorms and -30 weather than go inside.

Sorry you had to "do" them like that. You will love the roast duck some cold winter day.

If I hadn't raised mine as pets (boy chickens are livestock for eating, ducks are pets--crazy, I know), I'd love to give duck a try, but I'd have to get someone else's to manage it. lol And I agree on the weather issue, I provided a place out of the snow and wind, and they'll probably never use it! heaven knows they didn't last year, it was just somewhere to keep the feed dry.

Back
Top Bottom