I hate my town (stray cats and corrupt bureaucrats)

I agree a judge may say something about shooting the caged animal, so shoot it while loose as it is trying to kill you chickens, that is a right afforded many animal owners anywhere regardless of city or town ordinance, most people have a right to defend themself or their animals with lethal force, regardless of "no shooting in town" regs. Also a long bow is not under powered nor is a person capable of hitting their target with one under trained, go try to shoot one once and you will see it takes a certain degree of proficiencey to hit the target with a long bow especailly a small possibly moving target. A long bow is more than capable of taking big game animals, I'm sure it will easily kill a stray cat. The very fact that the local humane officer allows this to happen is ridiculous and she should loose her job, and they certianly shouldn't fine you for using your own means of trapping/killing these cats if they will not provide the trap. The more requests/complaints you file the more it will work to your favor.

Also you may consider the old "squeaky wheel gets the grease" theory. Compain to the cops, the animal control, the town council etc, I would even start writing articles for the editorial section of the local news paper explaining the situation and the Animal control officer's refusal to help, the more people hear about the issue the more you will have on your side and the more likely the city will want to help so as not to look like a bunch of no good do nothings who won't enforce their own ordinances.

Last edited:
I agree with you bluecoondog.. Almost. Some long bows are more than capable of killing a cat, but only in very capable hands. We see pictures way to often of cats with arrows sticking out of them. Always is blamed on bow hunters, never some kid whose mom would let her boys practice with on small moving animals in a neighborhood. Se really goes for pellet guns. Sure they can kill one sometimes maybe even usually, but not always these people are so funny as to their delicate sensitivities. If it takes 20 sec for a cat to die in the water. That's pretty quick. A 22 cal. Bullet to the heart the animal will have cognitive brain function for almost a min. Until it depletes the complete oxygen supply. Much less the horrible wounds I've seen recently as our brethren chooses not to do anything about our feral cat problem.

Yeah, drowning, so not happening. Humane or not (I believe not), it does not *appear* humane, and it would result in a quick trip to the state pen.
So, if you would be so kind, please take the drowning debate elsewhere. Since it's not going to happen here, there is not point discussing it on my thread.

I have looked up the laws and ordinances in my city. It is interesting to note that there are no specific ordinances at all regarding protecting live stock. The right to protect my livestock is protected by the state, however it can be over ridden by local ordinances. I do have the right to protect my livestock, however, by my state ordinances and lazy bureaucrats, my hands are tied as to *how* I'm allowed to protect my livestock.
My options are, shoot it, trap it, or get a guard animal.
I can't shoot it. I am within city limits. The right to protect my life and property is allowed for, however this is a case of proportion. While you and I see shooting a feral cat that is worrying and attacking my chickens as 'defending livestock', the question is will a petty official see that too, or will they have it built up in their mind that cows and goats are livestock, and chickens are just birds. Given the history of my town (This town was founded by a con. The oldest documents from this town are forged papers, the drug problem is bad in this town, not because the cops can't catch the king pins, but because the cops *are* the king pins, and don't even get me started on my experiences with the city building inspector, he just makes it up as he goes along) I'd rather not risk it.
Trap it is the solution provided for in the city ordinances. However, the problem with the animal control officer and the city traps is well stated. Her only suggestion was to call her when I was having problems. Sure, works great. Cats are attacking my birds, she shows up three days later and shrugs.
The guard animal is a very attractive option. I'm all for it. However, to get a dog properly trained will take a minimum of 6 months, as will raising a rooster (which is in the works. My eggs ship today WHAHOO!!!). In the mean time, I've still got the cat problem, plus with a dog, I run the risk that their prey drive will be too high (it happens. some dogs just can't hack it as a bird guard dog) and it'll happily do the cat's job for them.

The final option is move. We're working on that. That was the plan when we moved here 4 years ago. Turned out the houses were in worse shape than was advertised and we spent our house move money on house fixing. We've had to save up to get the money to move them. It looks like it will finally happen this year, Lord willing.

It really is frustrating to have been here for 4 years and had little problem with cats, a cat would wander through maybe once or twice a month, but it would move on when it found no safe haven or food, to having a family of 4 cats living under the house across the street, plus all the other cats they chase off. All because the new neighbor (who will move out in 6 months, that's the pattern around here) felt the need to feed the poor widdle kittehs. The neighbor will move, and the cats will stay, and it will take years to get rid of them.

I can't move soon enough.

Last edited:
Knittycat, sorry for trampling on your post. The discussion obviously flared a few tempers. Best of luck to you in all your future endeavors. I hope you do get that house out in the country where all your problems will be more manageable, until then keep your chin up and good luck.

Are you sure the right to protect your livestock is overridden by the local ordinance? If it is a state law that you have that ability that may not be the case, I'm sure your arrogant city lawmakers feel that way because they are by the sound of it spineless sad excuses for human beings, but that may not be the case if you were to go in front of a judge. I would maybe call a lawyer for a consult and ask them that question. It seems to me if the town has no ordinance pertaining to the situation then it would go to county ordinance, if the county doesn't have one then state law would be the law. That is how it is here, our rural township hasn't written any animal control ordinance so if there's a problem it goes to the county who does have a ordinance. I don't know if our state has any laws on the subject or if it is left up to local municipality

I am pretty sure you are good to shoot at them, and if the city cites you, appeal it. State law overrides city ordinances. You won't serve jail time on an ordinance ticket anyways. It's not a biggie, and you'll be on your way out of that town anyway.

Sorry I can't resist. What would you say when the police show up? The duffelds said they were pretty sure I was ok to shoot them in spite of local ordnance? Do not discharge a firearm in a illegal area. It's a weapons violation, and our judges are less then lenient on anything involving a gun, especially if it has been fired. The way the laws work is the federal government has their laws, the individual states can make laws that are more restrictive but not less. Then it goes to the county they can make their laws more restrictive then the states or Feds. From there it goes to the city gov. Then your local ccrs which depending on how they are enforced are like laws. It's set up this way so we can have localized laws that fit our regional characteristics better. In my state the voters approved legalized marijauna, that's just means the state doesn't prosecute for it but the Feds still can. You really do not want weapons violations on your criminal record.

I didn't see anything in there about not discharging within city limits...is it a big city?? By the way you describe it, its a crappy town...but the website makes it sound like its some grand ol' place and like animal control will solve all your problems.......sigh....

I wish they actually would do something about the cats...its really too bad you're in such a crappy situation. I hope your roo turns out to be a viscious fella to the cats and that kitten season for the ferals doesn't produce many kitties.

It's a very small city. I'm not sure it qualifies for city actually and may just be a large town.
My Mr and I are FFL holders. We cannot CAN NOT have a weapons violation on our files. It would be bad juju and we'd lose 90% of our business. Army surplus doesn't sell as well as the guns do.
And seeing as we've made a regular pain in the butt of ourselves with various city officials (like, oh say, insisting the building inspector know the building codes....) I doubt we'd be treated leniently.

Cross your fingers for us that we'll be able to get outa Dodge soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom