I HATE yellow jackets

priszilla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
easley sc
so how do I rid myself of these horrid winged beasts? I got 2 stings and the neighbors dog got stung. I have tobacco'd benadryl'd and baking soda'd myself.My face still is throbbing from one sting
sad.png

I have a huge nest that seems to be growing daily,,,
I already sprayed it and that didnt help.

I was thinking of putting gasoline on it and burning it at night!

I also heard hair spray works but I dont know about that!

Pretty scary stuff.

I got bit twicw and its very painful and the bites got really swollen and lasted about a week of itching and pain.

Bless your heart... We have a problem with Red Wasp!

DH was hit 5 times on the top of his bald head last summer. I actually had to take him for a steriod shot becuase of all the Red Wasp bites/stings were causing a problem with his swallowing...

This year one hit him on the top of his ear... He looked like a wrestler from the 1970's after a hard pounding!

We didn't think that Red Wasps would cause such a health concern, but apparently they do and can!

We declared war on the darn things. They were found everywhere... Under the pool deck, in the dog house for the timer for the pool, in the eves of the house and in the vent for the camper trailer. These flying meanies were just about everywhere chasing us down!

The nest we found in the eve behind a board was the size of a large orange. Since we couldn't douse the house in gasoline, we emptied a large can of wasp killer on the nest until the flying ones died and knocked the nest out with a broom.

Every summer since, we fight Red Wasps and every year we buy more wasp spray and have a can handy when we are working outside.

Make sure to read the can of spray you are using to make sure it covers that type of flying critter... Use the whole can if need be and wear protective clothing when hunting them down. Be very watchful of where they are coming from... get them before they get you...

Good Luck!

The best thing I've found for Yellow Jackets are those yellow traps - about $10 at Walmart. They are reusable and we put them away in the winter then put more "bait" in it (you buy this too at Walmart). Last year we filled up the traps so fast, this year we've got MUCH less Yellow Jackets. We try to put them out really early in the season in hopes to catch the queen. They are bad, but these yellow plastic traps are the best I've tried - and there are lots of types! They have a cone to fly up inside then they get trapped.

Last edited:
if you see the nests, can't you go in at dusk and use a high power water spray to knock down the nest? then you can raid it or just step on it. the bees will go off. also, the wasp traps might not always work because a lot of wasps are actually english paper wasps, and not yellowjackets and will not always get caught in the traps. if you read the traps, i believe they even mention that the traps are not meant for english paper wasps.

good luck!

Quote:
Yes, the traps I mentioned are for Yellow Jackets. If you do find the Yellow Jacket nest (in the ground) you can always douse it with diesel fuel and light it up. ;-) My husband ran over a nest while mowing last summer and they stung the heck out his head. Nasty buggers. Don't go walking barefoot in your yard!!

I don't know what you do for Paper Wasps - we have them too and they're bad. They'll built a small nest in my newspaper box and I pulled my paper out a few weeks ago while in my car and the wasp and nest came out in my lap in my car! Didn't know what happened at first till I felt the sting on my bare leg. OUCH! That canned spray works okay but I think some work better than others. The kind that REALLY sprays 20 feet -not just says it on the can!

I just happened to be glancing thru these posts looking for something I read the other day and I saw this. My father is deathly allergic to all bee stings, he keeps an epi pen with him at all times. He takes care of all the nests he finds on his property. I can tell you that he always waits till dusk or dark to do any dirty deed. If the nest is close enough to the water hose he will direct a full stream at it. the stream should dislodge the nest from whatever it is attached to. Then he will try to push it away from the house with the water from the hose. When I asked him why he did it like that he told me that the bees (stinging flying insects) cant reeeally get mad at the weather. And to them that is all that is happening. I would still wear as much protective clothing as possible tho. Hope this helps.

If it is yellow jackets and you have found the hole. Just mix up some dish detergent in water and pour the hole full of soapy water. It drowns them. The bubbles keep them from floating to the surface and escaping.

No need for gas or diesel fuel. Even if you use gas there is no need to light it. The fumes kill the bees not the fire.

Darin

Back
Top Bottom