I have 12 chickens and 7 ducks. Looking for a good home

Looking for a good home for 12 chickens and 7 ducks.
I would be interested in taking in a single female duck from the SE La. or SW Mississippi area. I recently took in a single male that had lost his companion to join my other two ducks which are a male and female. The established male is very jealous of the newcomer so I have my pen divided where they can all socialize but the males can't chase each other.

I would be interested in taking in a single female duck from the SE La. or SW Mississippi area. I recently took in a single male that had lost his companion to join my other two ducks which are a male and female. The established male is very jealous of the newcomer so I have my pen divided where they can all socialize but the males can't chase each other.
You "might" be able to take a drake to be his friend, if that is easier to find. I have been told you can have all male flocks (bachelor flocks) but there may be issues in spring when the hormones begin. Ask one of the really smart duck keepers for guidance.

You "might" be able to take a drake to be his friend, if that is easier to find. I have been told you can have all male flocks (bachelor flocks) but there may be issues in spring when the hormones begin. Ask one of the really smart duck keepers for guidance.
I don't want to take a chance with another drake. My nephew's boss had the single male that I thought shouldn't be alone so I took him in. I promised that he would be safe here so I was concerned when the male that was already here started chasing him. He didn't really even want to look at the couple at first, but I think that he is fond of the female now and needs to have a chance with a mate.

I don't want to take a chance with another drake. My nephew's boss had the single male that I thought shouldn't be alone so I took him in. I promised that he would be safe here so I was concerned when the male that was already here started chasing him. He didn't really even want to look at the couple at first, but I think that he is fond of the female now and needs to have a chance with a mate.
I hope you have an easier time separating your garden. I have 2 couples and only one pond. I do a daily switch (time sharing) between different spaces and it is complicated. I keep having to "improve" the fences because the males keep fighting each other.

I would let them squabble if it was just some ego bruises and a few feathers, but they attack each other's females.

I previously thought rape was a human concept you see the girls running away and crying when caught , so this is definitely non-consensual. I wish you all the best, and I understand your struggles. (Much empathy)

I hope you have an easier time separating your garden. I have 2 couples and only one pond. I do a daily switch (time sharing) between different spaces and it is complicated. I keep having to "improve" the fences because the males keep fighting each other.

I would let them squabble if it was just some ego bruises and a few feathers, but they attack each other's females.

I previously thought rape was a human concept you see the girls running away and crying when caught , so this is definitely non-consensual. I wish you all the best, and I understand your struggles. (Much empathy)
My pen is divided and each side has a kiddie pool. Every day when I feed them and change the water they manage to change sides but if / when the female starts laying eggs, they will have to stay on their sides.

The established duck chases the newcomer when they switch but haven't really fought each other yet but the new duck is older with a limp so I feel sorry for him and look out to protect him.

Do you have any advice on keeping the pen warm as the weather gets colder?

Back
Top Bottom