I have a bad egg

Feather babies

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 4, 2015
Vancouver Island Canada
Can anyone tell me what is going on with this egg? Looks like a partially developed egg? I have not left the eggs in the coop long enough for development. What is with the black spot inside the shell? Unfortunately this is from a carton that I sold. I obviously don't want to sell any more like this. The ones I have eaten have never had this happen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225-150110.png
    Screenshot_20240225-150110.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20240225-150122.png
    Screenshot_20240225-150122.png
    963.7 KB · Views: 24
Not sure what that is, but I don't think its an embryo.
Hopefully just a one off glitch.
What does the outside of shell look like near the black spot?

I don't know, I got these pictures from the person I sold some eggs to.
Bummer.
They take good pics anyway.
I tell my few customers if they find something odd/concerning to save the whole thing, shell and all, in a small container to I can take a better look at it. But they are friends.
I also tell them to open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe.

Bummer.
They take good pics anyway.
I tell my few customers if they find something odd/concerning to save the whole thing, shell and all, in a small container to I can take a better look at it. But they are friends.
I also tell them to open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe.
Good idea. 🙏

I do a quick candle of eggs I'm selling. It might not catch everything, but the more eggs I candle the better I get at spotted odd problems.
Sorry I have no idea why that egg looked like that.

That is not from development. You'd see veining if it had started to develop.

To me that sort of looks like a blood spot. Was it on the yolk? The yolk is enclosed in a membrane while in the hen's body cavity. That membrane has blood vessels in it so it can bring nutrients to the yolk so it can grow. When the yolk has grown big enough that membrane splits and releases the yolk. Usually that split is along a portion of the membrane that does not have any blood vessels but occasionally a blood vessel grows where it should not. You can get some blood in the egg when that happens, often just a drop but occasionally you can get a lot of blood.

I don't know that it is a blood spot but it could be. Some hens lay a lot of eggs with those but for most it will be pretty rare. The positioning really looks strange in that first photo if it is a blood spot. I've never seen one positioned so centered like that.

Back
Top Bottom