I have a hen that sounds like she's got fluid in her throat. She's panting and i can hear it rattling.

Kmcschoolee

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
I have a hen that sounds like she has fluid in her throat. She's panting ( all my hens are panting right now it's 100 degrees) because it's so hot and I can hear rattling in her throat. Is something wrong with her crop causing liquid in her throat? Sometimes when I pick her up it's like it sqeeks like air is coming out of her crop. She's eating.

I'm not sure if doesn't feel full in the morning. She is a good size chicken. I saw her cough some liquid up. I think it's her crop. I massaged it but it doesn't feel real full

It's most likely what @aart says, overfull with water. Sour crop causes a lack of appetite and the hen would be behaving "off". Keep an eye on her today for signs she may not be feeling well, watch her to see if she's avoiding the feeder, and check her crop tomorrow morning to be sure it's emptied overnight.

This is her
It's most likely what @aart says, overfull with water. Sour crop causes a lack of appetite and the hen would be behaving "off". Keep an eye on her today for signs she may not be feeling well, watch her to see if she's avoiding the feeder, and check her crop tomorrow morning to be sure it's emptied overnight.

Her crop was empty this am. She's eating still. Acted like she didn't feel well yesterday but seems a little better today. She wasn't making the noise as bad this am but is again this afternoon

Attachments

• 20210814_135358.jpg
    20210814_135358.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 4
I've tested with diflucan for 3 days and her crop is empty in the am. She still sounds like fluid in her throat. Today it sounded like she coughed once and fluid was there. Any other thoughts. Can I get antibiotics from someplace other that a vet

Back
Top Bottom