i have a hen that was scalped...skull showing

woogie g3

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
alright so this morning one of my hens was bleeding bad and i couldn't tell what was wrong..so i separated her and put her in a little kennel ...and all neck and some body feathers are ripped out and cut up and the skin/hide is riped completely from the back of the comb to the beginning of her neck..you can seriously see her skull..i feel so sorry for her i was about to cry. but the bleeding has quite and is all scabbed up ...but she acts fine like she eating drinkin and pooping even clucking but she has to be in pain my dad says we should put her down i just fill like i cant with her acting fine....what should i do i really dont want her to suffer
idunno.gif

If you can keep it clean and find an antibiotic for the large wound, the skin may eventually be able to grow back and she could survive.

However, you'd need the time and resources to do so, and birds are VERY good at hiding pain till they are moments from being dead.

It will suck, but I had this happen to a cat that got into it with a fox a number of years ago. We were able to see his spine through his back. (I was 9 during this btw), my dad poured hydrogen peroxide on the cat twice a day for a few weeks until it started to heal up. The skin and flesh will eventually fill back in, but don't expect feathers to grow there again after it heals.

Chickens are tougher than you think. I have had them recover from some ugly wounds like this. Keep her separated and put neosporin or bacitracin on it.
Good luck.

Chickens have recovered from amazing injuries. If she is eating and drinking, I wouldn't put her down either. Just keep the wound clean, keep up her nutrition, and give her a chance to heal while separated from the others, is what I'd do, and many on here have done, successfully.

It is too late to use peroxide. It will just make it worse by damaging good tissue. Clean the wound with lukewarm saline (weak salt water) and treat it with triple antibiotic ointment like neosporin (without painkiller - painkiller is deadly to chickens). If you have blucote (some people believe it helps) you can treat it with that, but I have no 1st hand experience with any of this. I'm just repeating what others have said on this forum.

Electrolites in the water (pedialite or something like that) or maybe ACV (with the mother) in the water might help her get stronger. Lots of protein (scrambled eggs for instance). Keep her warm and separated from the others until she heals.

Any idea what happened to her?

Good luck with her.

ok thanks imma try and put some stuff on it should i cover it with like a bandage??

Quote:
we have a bad problem with racoons around here. and im think that one tried to get her through the fence.

Back
Top Bottom