I have a question for everyone who owns Buff Orpingtons

floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
I am going to see if i can talk my mom into letting me order 25 BO from Meyer Hatchery im trying to hatch out 100 chicks for my mom and right now i have 28 for her and 25 BO would bump it to 53 taking the pressure off of me to hatch out the remaining 47 since i have 3 incubators i could hatch out that in 2 hatchs and i know that they are beautiful chickens and very calm to where you can hold and pet them we have a couple of white rock hens who are like that and well that being said the HEN and i was wondering what are the roosters like? When me and my mom catch hens every now and then to check if they are still laying i have to guard mom from the rooster when he charges in to protect one of his many hens and the roosters has anyones BO rooster ever tried to spur them? Cause im ordering pullets only but i know sometimes a few roosters get mixed in with them and if it is all pullets im thinking about croosing a RIR rooster with a BO hen to see if i could get a RIR/BO rooster and im wondering would it have the calmness of the BO or be a mean ol RIR rooster or even a WR/RIR/BO what a cross that would be lol WR hen mated with a RIR rooster and offspring rooster would mate with BO hen

I have a BO rooster (George) and I have no trouble with him. My grandson even picks him up, although I don't think he likes it. He has never used his spurs. When he was young he acted like he was going to show me he was boss, but I just stepped toward him and he gave it up. George is now over 1 year old. He gives very good care to 15 hens. The only thing to remember is that you want to make sure you have plenty of hens or you will have hens missing back feathers from overmating. I love the rooster noise. I will always have a rooster.

My BO Roo is very easy going. Some of our BO X RIR Roos have been nasty, and went to Freezer camp early. I have one RIR hen, one Delaware hen and the rest are BO hens, with one BO ROO and an AM. Game Roo.

Quote:
LOL oh he would be in the coop with 100 Hens do you think thats enough? Cause my two small nephews who are 5 and 3 are always wanting Grandma to catch a chicken for them to pet and just saying how soft they are,And i have told them never stick their little fingers in the fence or they will get bitten and if they see the boy chicken to back away from the fence and it would be nice if i could just say " Its okay to pet him hes a good boy chicken " they always ask whats a rooster so i just say thats the boy chicken to make it simply

Due to the unpredictability of their temperment, it is generally not a good practce to "trust" any rooster around small children. Their size, quick movements, and screams can trigger flock protective behavior in the calmest of roosters.

Quote:
Oh i would tell them not to scream or laugh real loud cause they will scare him plus i would be holding the BO roo and good news IM GETTING MY OWN BO NEXT MONTH WOOHOO!
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
wee.gif
25 hen chicks and 3 rooster chicks from Meyer Hatchery and my mom is getting 25 Ameraucanas cause she wants to sell their eggs next year for easter as all natural colored eggs due to all the recalls on plastic colored eggs from china over the years my sister and mom wont get them anymore for fear the nephews will get sick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom