I have an age problem!

colowyo0809

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Dacono, CO
So, this past monday we bought eight chicks (each one a different breed of course
roll.png
) and we brought them home. Today I called the store (Murdochs) to find out just how old these chicks are. The answer I was given, and was told that it could not be any more specific than this, was that they are either 6 days or 6 weeks old! I have a slight problem with this. I'm pretty sure they are all 6 days old, but as an incredible newbie I have no idea. I know the Andalusan(sp) is a little older because it is roughly one and a half times the size of all the others, and because the lady at the store told us it was from the last batch. however, it, nor any of the others, look to be 6 weeks old. Any idea on how I can tell? None of them really have anything beyond the pinfeathers they were born with, although several have what appear to be all real feathers on their wings. I am not planning on putting any of them outside for good until they all have full feathers, but it would be nice to know, just so I know when and how to adjust feed and such. Any thoughts?

If they are 6 days they will still have lots of fluff and few feathers. 6 weeks would be lots of feathers and little fluff. Hope that helps
smile.png

First of all do a search for the breed and look fo rchick pics of the age you think they are and then go from there.
What I did because Iam not sure how old any of mine are I add a week to their age (of the day I bought them) they were maybe a week old when I bought them so they are 5 weeks of thing but I start the real counting of age when they have full feathers because the breeds I have get most of their feathers at around four weeks old so when I see the pin feathers are gone they are this old.
I start them on grower when they have their full feathers in that way I know it is safe, with you not knowing the age I would treat it as week old chicks that way as they do anything they should be right on the money for you.

I help this helps
Good Luck to you and Congrats on the new chicks they will bring you hours of fun.

Quote:
I agree. I have 6 weeks old right now. They are pretty big, both hands to pick them up, pretty much fully feathered, very little fluff. Just moved them out with the big girls.

Back
Top Bottom