I have found blood on side of nesting box and clump of bloody "goo"

AnnieJ

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Camano Island, WA
My ladies have just started laying regularly (off and on for about a month) and this week I found fresh blood on the side of one of the nesting boxes with a clump of bloody mucous, goo stuff. I can't find any blood on any of the hens, nor do they seem to have any unusual behavior. They are still eating, scratching, etc. Anyone have any ideas? I have a couple of times found a little blood in an egg here and there, but very irregularly and not much.

On and off over the years I've found streaks and splashes of blood on the sides of nest boxes or eggs. Never had a hen act odd or die around that time, so I've just figured it's kinks their system is working out. One time it was LOTS of blood, for a chicken at least, and splattered in places I couldn't imagine how it got there. No one was hurt or bleeding, never did know what happened. Asked the girls, but they weren't talking.

On and off over the years I've found streaks and splashes of blood on the sides of nest boxes or eggs. Never had a hen act odd or die around that time, so I've just figured it's kinks their system is working out. One time it was LOTS of blood, for a chicken at least, and splattered in places I couldn't imagine how it got there. No one was hurt or bleeding, never did know what happened. Asked the girls, but they weren't talking.

With lots of blood splatters all around it could have been from one of the chickens feathers. If one of the blood feathers is bleeding and a chicken flaps a wing or shakes then the blood goes all over. If they are sitting in one spot it could just drip. The feather that's bleeding will generally just stop by iself.

As for the OP and the bloody goo-I have no clue.

Thanks for the responses!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom