I have gone chicken crazy!

chickchickchiky

Songster
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
I just purchased an incubator and bought some fertile eggs from a local breeder to hatch! I am getting some Black Copper Marans and pure bred Ameraucana's. I have been researching and learning as much as i can to get this right and i want the colorful eggs. I am picking up my eggs this Saturday and i should get the incubator before the end of the week. I purchased a Little Giant with the egg turner and candling light. I would love impute from those that do this alot any and all advise appreciated.

We have built a big coop with large enclosure for my flock i am awaiting chicks from a hatchery that were shipped today and should be here by the end of the week i also bought 6 meaty's from TSC that are thriving and growing fast and will be processed for us to eat. I did loose one of those so 5 left so i am starting with both live chicks and eggs crazy or what! I have had chickens as a child so this is all not completely new to me but it's been a while and this board is amazing with info. Now this will be my first time hatching anything so i am very excited about that anything i should be aware of?

You're in the right place
lau.gif
Welcome to the chicken crazy club!
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid
wee.gif

It only gets worse... soon, you will start to think you need a back up incubator...
Then, since you have two, might as well fill them both up..
lau.gif

then, you will spend alot of time going from one incubator to the next...just checking..looking...
then your family starts to think about an intervention...
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

LOL,
I bought 7 peeps last year for my girls to raise and we ended up with 1 roo and 6 hens. This year we (the girls) decided we should try and hatch our own eggs. NOW, I have a incubator with 40 eggs in it and just on my lunch break ran to get another that I found on craigslist. It was a LG with fan and turner(only 1 yr old) and also another still air incubator and they threw in 2 feed dishes and 1 big top fill waterer and a candler for $75. My husband is going to kill me. We also started construction on a bigger coop to replace the smaller one we built new last year!

You guys are too funny LOL. Well i have 40 acres so plenty of space for my insanity Hubby is on board too so i think i am ahead of the game! Thanks for the awesome welcome.

I have a question? What kind of Hygrometer should i get? I am starting with 12 eggs i purchased the incubator as a set for 80 bucks brand new on ebay it brings thermometer,candler, turner so i think i got a good deal on that just need a good hygrometer that can be calibrated from what i am reading.

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid
wee.gif

It only gets worse... soon, you will start to think you need a back up incubator...
Then, since you have two, might as well fill them both up..
lau.gif

then, you will spend alot of time going from one incubator to the next...just checking..looking...
then your family starts to think about an intervention...
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

Already thought about that since i read that it's messy come hatching time lol

i have a Xicar bought it at a cigar shop. its about as big as the dial/face on a watch. it has a magnet on the back you can use to connect it to the inside of the bator, but i just have it sitting o an empty egg hole in the turner. it is digital and has temp on it too. you can calibrate it in 4 hours.

Works GREAT! love it.
You guys are too funny LOL. Well i have 40 acres so plenty of space for my insanity Hubby is on board too so i think i am ahead of the game! Thanks for the awesome welcome.

I have a question? What kind of Hygrometer should i get? I am starting with 12 eggs i purchased the incubator as a set for 80 bucks brand new on ebay it brings thermometer,candler, turner so i think i got a good deal on that just need a good hygrometer that can be calibrated from what i am reading.

Last edited:
i have a Xicar bought it at a cigar shop. its about as big as the dial/face on a watch. it has a magnet on the back you can use to connect it to the inside of the bator, but i just have it sitting o an empty egg hole in the turner. it is digital and has temp on it too. you can calibrate it in 4 hours.

Works GREAT! love it.
I will google and see if i can find online. Is it accurate? it seems those things are not very accurate and can mess things up in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom