I have lots of questions about mites

Do you have any advice on how to dip a chicken? Do you hold their wings down or let them splash it everywhere? Their feathers, especially wings and back, seem to be kinda waterproof, so how do you get the liquid to stick long enough to do any good?
I managed to dip everyone. About half decided to make sure I didn't have mites either by splashing me. (Glad I had on goggles!) Wild Thang still has the mites on his face, though. I didn't want to dunk his head under and have him breathe the permethrin solution. How do I get them all off his face?! 🤪

Good on you--that's a huge task, but you did it!!

The bugs on his face won't have anywhere to go without getting poisoned, so hopefully they'll die off soon. You can try to brush off and smush as many as you see if he lets you get that close. But definitely don't dip or dunk his head. That would be very bad for a chicken.

Dipping should arrest the situation pretty well, but don't get too discouraged if it takes a few days for things to go away. And of course re-treat nesting boxes and roosts.

The first month we dealt with mites was the worst. It was like we had to wrestle the chickenyard back from the parasites, and nothing seemed to work. Until we finally reached a tipping point where enough of the bugs had been eradicated or weakened that they couldn't make another comeback.

The Elector PSP is a ridiculous price, and if permethrin had touched our mites at all, I would've started with a permethrin dip instead of investing in the Elector. However, I don't regret that investment for a moment, because it was what finally tipped the scale and ended Mitesplosion 2020.

The powder is not expensive and definitely worth grabbing. Continued good luck.

@Lady of McCamley I was reading your older post here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008 and I'm still not entirely sure what it is that is plaguing my chickens. Do you have any guesses?
Also appreciated the articles you linked to. 🙂
There are many kinds of mites but dipping in permethrin should rid them as long as you also treat the coops and remember to retreat in 10 days.

Sounds like you are doing everything.

LofMc

Ugh! I've noticed my 6 wk old polish n silkies (mainly polish) scratching their head. I've looked as best I can but can't tell a thing!
Should I just throw some permethrin into the coop and run to be safe? Would that help if they do have em?

Good on you--that's a huge task, but you did it!!

The bugs on his face won't have anywhere to go without getting poisoned, so hopefully they'll die off soon. You can try to brush off and smush as many as you see if he lets you get that close. But definitely don't dip or dunk his head. That would be very bad for a chicken.

Dipping should arrest the situation pretty well, but don't get too discouraged if it takes a few days for things to go away. And of course re-treat nesting boxes and roosts.

The first month we dealt with mites was the worst. It was like we had to wrestle the chickenyard back from the parasites, and nothing seemed to work. Until we finally reached a tipping point where enough of the bugs had been eradicated or weakened that they couldn't make another comeback.

The Elector PSP is a ridiculous price, and if permethrin had touched our mites at all, I would've started with a permethrin dip instead of investing in the Elector. However, I don't regret that investment for a moment, because it was what finally tipped the scale and ended Mitesplosion 2020.

The powder is not expensive and definitely worth grabbing. Continued good luck.
They did finally go away, and we treated for the second time yesterday. Hoping this is the end of those mites!

There are many kinds of mites but dipping in permethrin should rid them as long as you also treat the coops and remember to retreat in 10 days.

Sounds like you are doing everything.

LofMc
Thanks! And we just retreated, but I have yet to treat the coops. We ran out of time yesterday so going to do that today.

Ugh! I've noticed my 6 wk old polish n silkies (mainly polish) scratching their head. I've looked as best I can but can't tell a thing!
Should I just throw some permethrin into the coop and run to be safe? Would that help if they do have em?
I'd say do it. But you also might want to treat the silkies too. 🙂

I managed to get photos, and unexpectedly, Wild Thang (the boy I couldn't catch) is fine with the camera. Just no touching him. So I have photos of him. It's bad. There are more than I first thought.

View attachment 2683995

View attachment 2683998

The best I can see in the vent area:

View attachment 2684008

In the center of this photo is some bug that gt on m when cleaning the chicken house and it bit me. it really stung whatever it is.

View attachment 2684001

This is another bug I found:

View attachment 2684004

It's kind of hard to see, but in the center of this photo is what I suspect are red mites? There were a ton of these in the chicken house and run, but none that I saw on the chickens. They like to hang out on the poo nad under the food and water dishes:

View attachment 2684006
is anyone else itchy and feel compelled to shower after seeing these little terrors from Hell? I'll be imagining bugs on me all day. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom