I have peeping!

Saerasx

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Beaverton, OR
I have peeping!!!! My free range mama has 6 eggs under her and while she was out I went to check on her nest (which is butted up to the house next to the heater vent), I thought I was hearing birds in a neighboring tree but no! It was from a the nest :) tomorrow is supposed to be hatch day and I swear I saw a pip in an egg. Since she's outside, even though its completely protected from rain/wind, when should I be moving her? After one hatches? More than one? Since its in the 40s I want to know how much I should "trust" mama"....I'm a bit too excited :D ...im also in the pacific northwest if that helps

How exciting congrats on your peeping :celebrate

I would wait untill hatch is complete before moving her. Or even move her when she has decided hatch is complete and brings her chicks out to eat and drink. Moving her during the hatch could cause her to abandon her nest and eggs before they have have finished hatching. She should keep them warm under her. I'm not sure what kind of weather you are having as I'm in the UK but I would make sure she is safe from predators especially when the chicks have hatched.
Will you be moving them indoors or into a coop? I hope you have great hatch and will be able to post some pics of Mother and chicks?

Wishing you the very best of luck :fl

Thank you for the advice! Tody its in the 50s with intermittent sprinkles. She is very safe where she chose her nest but i do have a great heavy duty storage chestthat we modified to be the new baby zone. We will kerp them outside, put completely protected. Its so exciting and i will be taking lots of pics!:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom