I have read some do and don't refrigerate

Carenm

Songster
10 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Midland, TX
I understand if you don't wash the egg you can keep it out but if you wash it put it in the fridge, right?

Why would you keep them out?? Out of curiosity I never heard of eggs being kept out before.

Can you tell I am a 1st timer??

If you wash the eggs absolutely put them in the fridge. Washing removes the bloom -- the egg's natural protective coating -- and compromises it's ability to "keep" for extended periods. That said, even if you plan to refrigerate, there's not really any good reason to wash the eggs. Even in the fridge the bloom is helpful in preservation and if you keep clean nest boxes you shouldn't have any problem with eggs being "dirty".

As for keeping them out, people do so for different reasons but as long as the eggs will be used in the next couple of days its really of no consequence. Some people do so as its tradition, sometimes we leave some out on the counter when the fridge is packed to the brim (which happens often in the summer harvest season), some people like the looks of a bowl of eggs on the counter, etc, etc. The reasons are probably as numerous as the people who keep them.

The US is one of the few places where people DO refrigerate eggs. In Europe, the UK and South America eggs are never refrigerated. They are only washed if really dirty, just before using.

Yep, here in Blighty (and the rest of Europe) eggs are not refrigerated in supermarkets and will last at least a month (and often much longer).

sandie

I often will leave mine on the counter for days before I use them. Most of my baking recipes I use "room temperature" eggs/butter so I do not wash the eggs until I go to use them. I do not keep them for weeks out but I know others do. I also do not wash the eggs I refrigerate until I use them, my personal preference but I try to keep them as fresh as possibly for as long as possible!

I DO stick my eggs in the fridge...but I don't wash them until I'm ready to use them... The studies I've seen show that keeping them cool does help them last longer...but if you're using them within a few days then it really wouldn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom