I haven't watered my chickens for months...

j3707

Songster
10 Years
Dec 29, 2009
Pacific Northwest
I'm all for labor saving devices, so I hooked up a single "chicken licker" nipple to a 55 gallon barrel. I haven't watered the chickens for at least 6 months and the barrel is not even half empty. I bet I get a full year out of it.

Super easy to make and it held up to being nearly frozen solid for a few days this winter. I insulated the PVC pipe, but that was all. Next winter I hope to insulate the barrel as well.

I put the pipe about 6 inches up from the bottom of the barrel, so the chances of it getting clogged with sediment over time is less. One thing I need to do is install a separate drain valve at the bottom for winter draining and cleaning when needed.

Oh...and the water is still sweet and clean after 6 months.

Highly recommended!

46272_img_2304.jpg

So I'm guessing it would have to collect rain water..how do you keep leaves and trash from falling in it? That's pretty darn cool BTW!
smile.png

Neat idea, You could wrap it with electric heat tape. Does the water get rancid? It would probably be a good idea to add a spoon full of iodine to it when you fill it. That kills micro organisms....

Cindiloohoo - I just fill it up with the garden hose....once a year won't be too much strain
cool.png
It's all closed up on top, so nothing gets in.

PeepsInc - The water is still fresh, but I was thinking of adding some chlorine like we do for stored drinking water. You think iodine is better?

mamagardener - There is virtually no flow, so it freezes right up if not insulated --- especially the PVC pipe. I bought some heat tape and might go that route next winter.

Even if you just use it 3 seasons it's a great convenience. It's been a great chore-saver so I thought I'd share my experience.

I love this idea.
My 4 hens are in 2 seperate coops/runs, so I need a much smaller version.

What could I use that's smaller than the rain barrel?
Also, how is that pvc pipe attached to the barrel?
How is that nipple attached to the pipe?
THANKS!

dlfridie -

You can use any size container you like...I've also got a 2 or 3 gallon bucket with the chicken licker nipple screwed right into it. It just hangs up on a post.

I used a PVC adapter that was smooth on one side (to slide the PVC pipe into) and threaded on the other. I drilled a hole in the barrel with a hole saw and screwed the threaded side of the adapter into the barrel. I put teflon tape on the threads before I screwed it in and caulked the outside of the barrel/adapter union with kitchen/bath caulk.

To install the nipple, you drill a hole through one side of the pipe or bucket and thread the nipple in. I use teflon tape on the those threads too.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ering_systems-ft1_hoses_nipples;pgwc1030.html

That's the link for the nipple I use, use a 23/64th drill bit for the hole.

There are other threads on this topic as well.

Have fun!

My setup is on the same order as that one except I have the barrel overhead in my coop and cups like in this pic. I have one cup for 14 large size chickens and it works great in warm weather. I drain it when real cold weather comes and carry water to them. Saves a lot of work in warm weather.
waterer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom